Stake & Ward Financial Records Handbook

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
farwest
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: southern utah

Stake & Ward Financial Records Handbook

Postby farwest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Where do we obtain the stake and ward financial records handbook?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:05 pm

farwest wrote:Where do we obtain the stake and ward financial records handbook?


There is no such handbook, per se. The financial records handbook is Chapter 16 of the Church Handbook of Instructions (2006), Book 1, which deals with all the high-level policies regarding Finances.

For more detailed instructions, see:

  • the MLS Help file (there's an entire section on Financial policies, plus plenty of how-to topics)
  • The Record-Keeping and Auditing Training online (or downloaded from the same page).
  • The Financial Audit forms (available in MLS)
  • http://clerk.lds.org, which has a variety of policy statements
  • The Record-Keeping FAQ (available with the training, or in MLS)
  • Official letters sent to stake presidents and bishops
  • Messages sent from CHQ via MLS messaging

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 pm

farwest wrote:Where do we obtain the stake and ward financial records handbook?

If you log into your Local Unit Web Site (affectionately known as LUWS) and have a calling in a leadership or clerking position, you will see a box in the lower-right (just above the Church logo) titled "Record Keeping Information". Clicking on this will take you to a screen where you will find links to the following list of documents...


  • Clerk and Auditor Training Lessons (link to online training)
  • Computer Transfer and Disposal Instructions (PDF)
  • Local Unit Security Policies (PDF)
  • MLS Reconciliation Instructions (PDF)
  • Emergency Check Procedures (PDF)
  • MLS Membership Supplement (PDF, DOC)
  • MLS Finance Supplement (PDF, DOC)
  • Record Keeping FAQ's (PDF)

Cheers,
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

kmalone-p40
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Postby kmalone-p40 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:31 am

Mikerowaved wrote:If you log into your Local Unit Web Site (affectionately known as LUWS) and have a calling in a leadership or clerking position, you will see a box in the lower-right (just above the Church logo) titled "Record Keeping Information". Clicking on this will take you to a screen where you will find links to the following list of documents...


  • Clerk and Auditor Training Lessons (link to online training)
  • Computer Transfer and Disposal Instructions (PDF)
  • Local Unit Security Policies (PDF)
  • MLS Reconciliation Instructions (PDF)
  • Emergency Check Procedures (PDF)
  • MLS Membership Supplement (PDF, DOC)
  • MLS Finance Supplement (PDF, DOC)
  • Record Keeping FAQ's (PDF)

Cheers,
Mike


This is great.

I printed them up for the bishopric for a quick guide locked away in our cabinets.

Thanks.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:05 am

kmalone wrote:I printed them up for the bishopric for a quick guide locked away in our cabinets.

I'm glad you are magnifying your calling and being helpful to the ward leaders. If you plan to use the copies you printed from the web as future reference then I advise one word of caution. You should regularly check the source for the documents you printed. These on-line documents can change without you knowing what has changed. The amount of effort and resourses needed to ensure accuracy of information in this situation can be more than you want to expend. I can imagine you printing each document regularly just to ensure you have the most up-to-date and accurate copy. How much paper will this consume? How often should you make copies?

Do you see my point? I do not want to discourage your desire to be helpful. Perhaps making electronic copies saved to the ward administrative computer can be just as helpful. I would also save a link to the on-line documents as a bookmark in your web browser, or even in a OpenOffice Write document, for quick navigation to them.

If you have Internet capability for your ward administrative computer then updating and linking to the on-line documents is more efficient in terms of having the most correct and latest. If you do not have Internet capability for your ward administrative computer then updating the electronic copies from another Internet connected computer is still less involved.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 am

That's true, jdlessley, however the Church has been kind enough to provide a "Distribution Date" next to the document links making checking for newer ones pretty easy. 7 of the 10 were published Oct 2007 and the rest 2 to 3 years prior, so if anything pops up later than Oct 2007, you know it's time to update.

Having some printed material on hand is very useful, especially for units without the internet. In particular, the "Emergency Check Procedures", as it talks about what to do if the MLS computer is without power, or otherwise malfunctioning. Of course, it wouldn't help if the instructions on what to do were stored on the hard drive that crashed. ;)

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

kmalone-p40
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Postby kmalone-p40 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 am

Mikerowaved wrote:That's true, jdlessley, however the Church has been kind enough to provide a "Distribution Date" next to the document links making checking for newer ones pretty easy. 7 of the 10 were published Oct 2007 and the rest 2 to 3 years prior, so if anything pops up later than Oct 2007, you know it's time to update.

Having some printed material on hand is very useful, especially for units without the internet. In particular, the "Emergency Check Procedures", as it talks about what to do if the MLS computer is without power, or otherwise malfunctioning. Of course, it wouldn't help if the instructions on what to do were stored on the hard drive that crashed. ;)

Mike



i was in my Bishopric meeting last Sunday an mentioned the resources, It was interesting to see the look on their face when they realized they wouldn't be able to issue checks from MLS if it wasn't working. Our FM guys are great but it still takes time to resolve issues.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:55 am

kmalone wrote:i was in my Bishopric meeting last Sunday an mentioned the resources, It was interesting to see the look on their face when they realized they wouldn't be able to issue checks from MLS if it wasn't working. Our FM guys are great but it still takes time to resolve issues.
I am not sure what you really communicated to your bishopric. True you cannot print checks using MLS if it is down but you can write checks manually. The procedures to do this are found by clicking the 'Record Keeping Information' button on either your ward home page or your stake home page.

I've included it here because you must be a web administrator to use the 'Record Keeping Information' button. This issue has already been address in another thread.

Emergency Checks Procedure for
Units Using the MLS Check Printing Feature

[font=MGHJAL+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][size=100]If you have any of the following problems printing or transmitting checks, use the provided instructions. [/SIZE][/font]
If MLS Is Working, but Cannot Transmit


[font=MGHJAL+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][size=100]1. Enter check data in MLS as usual.
2. Print checks as usual.
3. Telephone 1-800-537-5932 (or 240-3496 in Salt Lake area), option 1, the same day the checks are printed (or if after business hours, by 10 a.m. mountain time on the next business day).
4. Mail or deliver checks to payees.
5. Transmit as soon as possible.
[/SIZE][/font]If MLS Is Not Able to Print Checks
[size=100]Handwrite the checks on your MLS check stock using these instructions:[/SIZE]

[size=100]1. The following items must be on the check (see example below):
• Date written
• Pay (longhand-written amount of check) dollars
• To the order of (payee’s name)
• Numeric amount of check
• Two authorized signatures
2. Telephone 1-800-537-5932 (or 240-3496 in Salt Lake area), option 1, the same day the checks are written (or if after business hours, by 10 a.m. mountain time on the next business day)
3. Once MLS is working again, the check data must be entered into MLS and the check printed on a[/SIZE]blank sheet of paper[size=100]. [/SIZE]Do not use a sheet of check stock paper for this purpose.
[size=100]4. File the check information printed on plain paper in step 3 with the backup of the check.
[/SIZE]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

kmalone-p40
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Postby kmalone-p40 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Assuming your computer is operational, and is the reason you can't view the PDF files. :p


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest