Pay to the Order of...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mprusse

Pay to the Order of...

Post by mprusse »

I've always been taught that members should make out their donation checks to the ward name in which they reside because that is the name of the account at the local bank where the checks are deposited. But lately I've seen many other payees when handling donations. Is there some documentation available that instructs on the proper name to use when paying donations? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macsense wrote:I've always been taught that members should make out their donation checks to the ward name in which they reside because that is the name of the account at the local bank where the checks are deposited. But lately I've seen many other payees when handling donations. Is there some documentation available that instructs on the proper name to use when paying donations?

According to the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1 (2006) on page 157:
Checks should be made payable to the ward, not to the bishop or the Church.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan has given us the official answer, which should be communicated to any members that don't adhere to it. Let me just add though, in the several years I've served as the Ward Finance Clerk, I've seen donation checks made out to the Church, Bishop, Scout Troop, "Christmas Giving", and many other variations, and have yet to see any check refused by the bank because of who it was made out to. I'm not saying it hasn't happened to someone somewhere, I just haven't seen it. In each case, we politely reminded people of the guidelines which Alan quoted for any future donations.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

You're right, frequently the banks will accept the checks. They do get returned sometimes for the wrong payee, though, especially near the end of the year. Banks seem to get more cautious around the holidays.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

When a check is made out to our bishop, he normally just writes Pay to [ ] Ward and signs it. Then the clerks stamp it and enter it as a regular donation from the check writer.

The banks have never fussed about that. And yes, the member is asked not to do it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”