Missionary family moves mid mission with account balances

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
johnshaw

Re: Missionary family moves mid mission with account balance

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:But in practice, I have found that the new unit generally picks up the expense when the family moves in and (hopefully) begins contributing to the new unit. And the former unit picks up the pieces with whatever balance (positive or negative) remains in the missionary account.
lajackson wrote:If the effective date of the transfer is handled properly, this amount will be less than one month's requirement.
I believe this observation is generally true as well, however, in practice, I have NEVER experienced that missionary balances are 'fixed' in a timely manner. Regardless of whether the member moves from my stake or moves into my stake. To this end, and with my experience with 14 wards since the start of CUBS, I am not confident that this practice or procedure is understood in our clerk offices or Bishop offices and continues to be an issue.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Missionary family moves mid mission with account balance

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:. . . I have NEVER experienced that missionary balances are 'fixed' in a timely manner. . . .
I am not confident that this practice or procedure is understood in our clerk offices or Bishop offices and continues to be an issue.
And I totally agree with you. When I was (intentionally) a month shy on missionary contributions for our youngest son, and the clerk finally asked about it, I suggested that he transfer the balance from the account of our missionary son who had previously returned (valued at exactly one month).

It was a wonderful training moment for the clerk, and also the bishop who was listening in on the conversation.

I also pointed out that the reason they hadn't worried about it earlier was because there was an overall positive balance in the ward missionary fund, so they had not really been paying attention to the sub accounts. It is a bishop/financial clerk training issue that is ongoing, and not just with the ward missionary fund.

But if they are careful and diligent in this regard, things will go much better when a family with a missionary comes or goes during his time of service.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”