Fast Offering Recipient Names Dropping

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ralitaco

Fast Offering Recipient Names Dropping

Post by ralitaco »

I have several (10-15) expense checks dating from Dec to the end of Jan that were assigned Fast Offering categories and the recipients keep disappearing. I know they were entered correctly because 1. you can't print the check without entering a name when selecting a FO category and 2. the names show on the printed check and report.
I keep getting Urgent tasks to correct this which I do, but the names drop off again.
Is anyone else seeing this?
I sent MLS Support an email through MLS and their response was to do several S/R's and see if they names repopulated.

2 other items that may or may not be related:
1. A few weeks ago I had to restore MLS from a backup file. Don't know if something got corrupt that keeps causing the names to drop.

2. I noticed tonight that on my Donation Batch Summary Report the "Authorized Member..." & "Ward Mission..." portion of the categories were no longer displayed or printed. Now just the Sub category name (e.g.-2012 Food Basket) and Full Time Missionary Name (e.g.-Jonathon Ray Doe) show. I printed a report and it was 5 pages long with the long / full category names listed. after an S/R, I went back and printed the same report and this time it was only 4 pages and it did not have Parent category listed, just the sub category. I'm not sure if this is a glitch in my MLS file or if this was by design.

Thanks for any help
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Fast Offering Recipient Names Dropping

Post by jdlessley »

ralitaco wrote:A few weeks ago I had to restore MLS from a backup file.
Why did you have to restore from backup? The reason may give clues as to why you are having problems now. After you did the restore did you do a send/receive? (Most likely you did in order to get a sync file from headquarters to unlock the finance sections of MLS.) Did you examine your finance data after the send/receive?
ralitaco wrote:...the recipients keep disappearing.
Are these recipients or payees? Typically the payees are nonmember entities like utility companies and most recipients are members. But in any case the indications are more like problems with the database when either the fast offering recipient or the payee disappear.

Without further information my initial impression is these issues all together sound like database errors and/or synchronization issues with CUBS. Before you do too many send/receives I would contact LUS and ask them have a technician examine the database. You will have to make sure you can explain to the technician as much detail for each problem. They may need to send down a synchronization file that will restore data from CUBS to your local MLS again.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ralitaco wrote:A few weeks ago I had to restore MLS from a backup file. Don't know if something got corrupt that keeps causing the names to drop.
Did the restore take you back before a Send/Receive?

The last word we had is that if you went back before a Send/Receive, you needed to call CHQ to make sure everything was in sync. Now that was a version or two of MLS ago, so that might have changed. But given that you are having problems, I think it's worth looking at.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

JD & Russel, bit of a long story...
Back in JANUARY, I was trying to clear up some callings that were showing in CDOL but not MLS. I was working with LUS and they had me uninstall/reinstall MLS. Before uninstalling, I made a backup. Next they had me restore my data from a DECEMBER backup which was not the latest backup. That did not fix the issue with the callings and I was locked out of the finances. I waited a day or two and still nothing, so I restored the last backup I made before uninstalling MLS. Within 15 minutes, I had access to the finances again.
(Ultimately, it turned out that I didn't have full permissions to see the Custom Positions Tool)

So, I am of the mindset that the data got corrupt during the restore process; however, some of the issues with the Recipients dropping are on checks I have written since then.

I have done a S/R, got the finances unlocked, verified the most recent expenses and donations were there, etc.

It is the Recipients not the Payees that keep disappearing.

I will contact LUS and ask them to check the DB and send a sync file.

Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ralitaco wrote:I have several (10-15) expense checks dating from Dec to the end of Jan that were assigned Fast Offering categories and the recipients keep disappearing. . . .
I keep getting Urgent tasks to correct this which I do, but the names drop off again.
Is anyone else seeing this?
I sent MLS Support an email through MLS and their response was to do several S/R's and see if they names repopulated.
Recently, many of our units have received urgent requests to add recipient names to fast offering checks. The names have not repopulated with S/Rs.

You are not alone.

None of our units have done anything more than normal membership and financial operations. No restoring of backups or anything special at all.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I've had this issue about 3 times with one F.O. Check written in early December 2012.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.
I did request to have my database checked by a technician so I will now wait and see.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”