Tithing status

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
w4yjc

Tithing status

Post by w4yjc »

Should a bishop declare a non-member's tithing status when they pay into the tithing fund? I seem to recall that this should not be done, but haven't found any info on the subject in the handbook or elsewhere.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing status

Post by aebrown »

Every document that says anything about declaring tithing status refers to declaring the status of a member. See, for example, Identifying and Recording Tithing Status. Nowhere will you find any document that talks about declaring the status of a nonmember.

I don't have a way to check it right now, but I thought that only members were listed on the tithing declaration screen in MLS; if that's correct, there's no way to record a nonmember's status anyway.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:I don't have a way to check it right now, but I thought that only members were listed on the tithing declaration screen in MLS; if that's correct, there's no way to record a nonmember's status anyway.
Only members are listed and then it only members of you current unit. If there is a record in the unit then they are listed on the declaration report.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Gary_Miller wrote:Only members are listed and then it only members of you current unit. If there is a record in the unit then they are listed on the declaration report.
Pretty sure that's not quite correct. If someone pays any tithing into the ward, and then moves ward - they still appear on the declaration report for the original ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannykos wrote:Pretty sure that's not quite correct. If someone pays any tithing into the ward, and then moves ward - they still appear on the declaration report for the original ward.
In the old days you had to declare them a member of another ward. Now it seems the system does that for you upon move-out. Either way, it's not hard to deal with.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

"Now it seems the system does that for you upon move-out."
I believe that there is (or was) a software bug regarding removing moved-out members from the Tithing Status Declaration report. We have a high volume of move-ins/move-outs, and our 2012 Tithing Status report (where the bishop records the tithing status) had over 700 entries. We held under 600 membership records at the time the report was printed.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”