Where is the tax summary statement?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Where is the tax summary statement?

Post by drepouille »

I received the following message on the stake MLS, but cannot find this statement.

An important document is posted in FINANCES > FINANCE STATEMENTS > ANNUAL CHARITABLE CASH CONTRIBUTIONS OFFICIAL TAX SUMMARY STATEMENT
requiring your immediate attention.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
allenjpl

Re: Where is the tax summary statement?

Post by allenjpl »

We got that message on the ward MLS, too, but it's nowhere to be found. I even tried searching through the MLS files on the hard drive, but no dice.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

This very important document is missing here, too. I wonder where it is actually hiding.
serick224

Ann. Charitable Cash Contr. Official Tax Summary Statement

Post by serick224 »

MLS tells me that every year a report is supposed to show up called the Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement in the Finance Statements section. The message even has a screenshot, showing it showing up under a folder named "Official Tax Summary Statement." The problem is that I'm not seeing the report, nor the folder.

:confused:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ann. Charitable Cash Contr. Official Tax Summary Stateme

Post by aebrown »

serick224 wrote:MLS tells me that every year a report is supposed to show up called the Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement in the Finance Statements section.
[Moderator note: I moved your post into the existing topic for this issue.]

I didn't see anything in the MLS message about "every year"; this is the first time I recall a message like this. And as other posters have noted, the statement does not appear to be in the Financial Statements section. My guess is that the MLS message got sent out a bit early and that we'll see the statement soon.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I received the following message on the stake MLS, but cannot find this statement.

An important document is posted in FINANCES > FINANCE STATEMENTS > ANNUAL CHARITABLE CASH CONTRIBUTIONS OFFICIAL TAX SUMMARY STATEMENT
The message preceded the statement. When I called this afternoon, the Global Service Center said the statement is queued to go out at 8:00 pm this evening (Monday), "along with a whole bunch of financial files" for our stake.

I asked if that was just for us, or if the files were queued for other units, as well. She said that at the very least "there are a lot of units in your area" that had financial files pending for the next Send/Receive. As usual, aebrown got it right.

Should be an interesting week.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

lajackson wrote:
drepouille wrote:I received the following message on the stake MLS, but cannot find this statement.

The message preceded the statement. When I called this afternoon, the Global Service Center said the statement is queued to go out at 8:00 pm this evening (Monday), "along with a whole bunch of financial files" for our stake.

I asked if that was just for us, or if the files were queued for other units, as well. She said that at the very least "there are a lot of units in your area" that had financial files pending for the next Send/Receive. As usual, aebrown got it right.

Should be an interesting week.
Thanks for the update. I just hope that the attention that I'm supposed to immediately pay to this very important document isn't supposed to occur before January 31.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

The eagle has landed. And I'm not too thrilled about it.

The Official Tax Summary Statement is the donation record that we were promised back during the CUBS changeover in 2010. That is, it is a record of all the donations a member has made during the calendar year, if they made them to multiple units. Rather then mailing them out directly, it appears that CHQ will be sending them to the current unit of record for distribution to the member. There is nothing in the instructions that indicates whether we are supposed to distribute these prior to January 31, or if it will be an audit exception if we don't, seeing as the member's address are printed on the statement, and are thus available. I'm assuming they are in the ideal position for a #10 windowed envelope.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

allenjpl wrote: I'm assuming they are in the ideal position for a #10 windowed envelope.
That may not be a good assumption. See this thread.

Since you are one of the few people who have seen this new statement format, perhaps you can try folding a sample to see if it fits such an envelope window and let us know.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I have attached one of the letters here.
Attachments
NewDoc.pdf
(641.21 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

Return to “Local Unit Finance”