New Ward Budget Calculations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jsorens6

Re: New Ward Budget Calculations

Post by jsorens6 »

Based on my Quarterly Budget Allowance Report I reviewed today, it does run 2 quarters behind. My Q3 allowance is based on our Q1 reported figures. It's also interesting to be able to see the amounts that the stake allocates to the wards for each factor.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

jsorens6 wrote:Based on my Quarterly Budget Allowance Report I reviewed today, it does run 2 quarters behind. My Q3 allowance is based on our Q1 reported figures. It's also interesting to be able to see the amounts that the stake allocates to the wards for each factor.
I suspect most stake presidents are not even aware of those allocation percentages. My stake president want not aware of them until I raised the issue in a presidency meeting. After some discussion, the presidency told me to make a few adjustments.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jsorens6 wrote:It's also interesting to be able to see the amounts that the stake allocates to the wards for each factor.
drepouille wrote:I suspect most stake presidents are not even aware of those allocation percentages.
In a former life when my responsibilities included stake finances, we regularly discussed them in presidency meeting. We found it easier to give the wards 100% of the extra allocations, and adjust the percentage on just the general allocation to provide for the stake budget. We also gave the branches more of their general allocation than we gave the wards.

But each stake presidency needs to make those decisions that best serve the stake and all of its wards and branches. There are many ways to do it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I suspect most stake presidents are not even aware of those allocation percentages.
Or at least not aware it's under their control. When called to the position, they have bigger things to deal with. So they let that "run as it's always run". At least until something comes up that causes them to re-think the situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:. . . they have bigger things to deal with. So they let that "run as it's always run".
It was that way the first time around. But the second time around, we were a new stake. In the beginning, we really had to work hard to get it to run at all. Writing transfer checks, regular changes to the percentages, remembering to make the changes to the percentages each quarter until everything was up and running smoothly.

We set a good plan to begin with. But we had to make sure we remembered to make all of the changes along the way for the first several quarters until things stabilized and balanced.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”