Signatures on Reimbursement form

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mtennier

Re: Signatures on Reimbursement form

Post by mtennier »

Gary_Miller wrote:
drepouille wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:On our ward reimbursement form we require three signatures before a check is even cut.

Requestor
Auxiliary President
Bishop
Would you accept the signature of a counselor in the auxiliary presidency?
No, the President is responsible for overseeing the budget and finances of their organization, therefore their approval of all expenses is required.
We do the same.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

For my part - if the budgeting process has been done correctly prior to the beginning of the year - there should already be in place a list of proposed expenditures and approximate amounts for each auxiliary, group & quorum.

Having approved the various budgets I'm happy for the president / leader to approve prior to incurring the expense. I wouldn't accept a counsellor as an approver unless circumstances particularly dictated.
aaronengineer

Post by aaronengineer »

As mentioned previously the authorization by others than the bishop is optional. In my unit we have the same requirement for 3 signatures. If the requestor is the organization president or spouse, in theory, the same rules should apply as when an authorized check signer requests a check. In other words, neither the authorizer nor his/her spouse should approve the expense. In that case I would accept a counselors signature.
Remote living should not really be an issue. I presume the organization leader is able to attend church on most Sundays and it is on those days they should sign. Personally, neither I nor my finance assistant will touch a reimbursement request until it has both the organization leader's signature and bishop's. (See above for exceptions.) I don't have the cycles to run around tracking down org leaders for their signatures. I expect the person requesting the reimbursement to do that leg work.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aaronengineer wrote:If the requestor is the organization president or spouse, in theory, the same rules should apply as when an authorized check signer requests a check. In other words, neither the authorizer nor his/her spouse should approve the expense. In that case I would accept a counselors signature.

I don't see this as a big deal as the bishop has to approve the expense and the check has to be signed by two people. In my ward the check in most cases is signed by myself (as finance clerk) and the Bishop. The only time someone else would cut or sign a check is if I was out of town for an extended length of time, over two weeks.
aaronengineer wrote:Personally, neither I nor my finance assistant will touch a reimbursement request until it has both the organization leader's signature and bishop's. (See above for exceptions.) I don't have the cycles to run around tracking down org leaders for their signatures. I expect the person requesting the reimbursement to do that leg work.
In our ward no one has to chase down the bishop for approval. The organization president places the reimbursement request, with the signatures of the requester and the organizations president along with the receipt in the finance clerks box in the clerks office. The finance clerk then reviews the request making sure the receipt amounts and the requested amount balance. The request is the place in a yellow pocket folder titled, Reimbursements needing approval Signature, then placed in the Bishops Box for his signature. Once the bishop has signed the request approving the expenses the folder is returned to the finance clerk who then cuts a check, signs the check and the places it in another folder along with the expense report titled, Expenses needing Signature, we use green for this folder. Once the bishop signs the check he sends the folder back to the finance clerk who distributes the checks and files the paper work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:In our ward no one has to chase down the bishop for approval.
That only works if the leadership subscribes to the "Failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." philosophy. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:In our ward no one has to chase down the bishop for approval.
That only works if the leadership subscribes to the "Failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." philosophy. ;)
Does not matter I'm not going to cut a check until Tuesday or Wednesday when I'm in the office so the Bishop can sign them Wednesday night when he is in the building for mutual. This includes welfare checks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:This includes welfare checks.
I stand by my prior statement. I can't find it, but I remember threads in the past about teaching people that if they need help with their electric bill, they better come to the bishop sooner and not wait until the day before the power is to be cut off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
evlarson

Post by evlarson »

Is a reimbursement form even required? I just did an audit and found an expense without a reimbursement form. I was going to make it an exemption and then I read the instructions. The Branch President had signed the MLS Expense Report that was stapled to the check stub so I had to take that as proof of his approval. I did make a note of it in the notes section of the Corrective action plan though.

Question 16
Did the bishop approve all payments?

Look at the payment records. Make sure the bishop has approved the payments by signing at least one of the following: original invoice, original bill, original receipt, or payment request. The bishop's signature on the MLS Expense Report is acceptable proof of his approval. If any tested payment did not have the bishop's approval, mark "No."
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I don't think the reimbursement form is required. But it sure is nice to have and helps with the approval and record keeping process.
tasipalet

Post by tasipalet »

need form to submit the check the report for the clearer of all report

Return to “Local Unit Finance”