Charitable Cash Contributions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
trinathon

Charitable Cash Contributions

Post by trinathon »

I'm a financial clerk in a BYU singles ward and I was wondering :confused: if the "Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement" has to be sent out to those with minimal (<$500) donations?
And if a student isn't working and has no donations?
Also, if the student has moved out of our ward we should just mail it to their new address?
Can we email it to them in a PDF?

Just looking to get things clarified here. Thanks a ton in advanced!

-Andrew Bowns
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Charitable Cash Contributions

Post by aebrown »

trinathon wrote:I'm a financial clerk in a BYU singles ward and I was wondering :confused: if the "Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement" has to be sent out to those with minimal (<$500) donations?
The RKATS article Print and Distribute Donor Statements says it very simply: "An Official Tax Statement should be delivered to each donor by January 31 of each year."

Thus you send the statement to each donor; there is no mention of any minimum amount, so you would never make a judgment as to whether donation amounts were minimal or not.
trinathon wrote:And if a student isn't working and has no donations?
It's irrelevant whether a person is working. The question is if they have made donations to your ward. If they have, then they are a donor and should be sent a statement. If they have made no donations, there's no need to send a statement.
trinathon wrote:Also, if the student has moved out of our ward we should just mail it to their new address?
Yes. Slide 27 of the Tithing Settlement Process training lessons says "If the donor has moved from the ward, the clerk should try to obtain the new address and mail the receipt."
trinathon wrote:Can we email it to them in a PDF?
That's a new question for me. I can't find a direct answer, but I'd be wary of sending confidential financial information via insecure email.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

trinathon wrote:Can we email it to them in a PDF?
The tax valid statement must be signed by the bishop for the statement to meet the U.S. IRS requirement. Printing the statement to PDF without a signature would not make the statement a valid document for a tax audit. I am guessing that the statement signature also needs to be an original. If the statement were signed, then scanned, and sent as a PDF, then there may be an issue with the signature not being original.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
trinathon

Post by trinathon »

Well looks like I just have to put my nose to the grindstone. Can't wait till technology can be used to make this easier. Thanks for your help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

trinathon wrote:Well looks like I just have to put my nose to the grindstone. Can't wait till technology can be used to make this easier.
While technology is always improving, I would note that technology has already made this job a lot easier. I remember the days of typing receipts on triplicate forms with a typewriter, and I've seen much earlier receipt forms written out by hand detailing the goods donated by the member. I'm glad we've made a lot of progress since those days!
clarkg1

Post by clarkg1 »

The church office messages financial records for those that have moved out of the ward to their new ward, so there is no need to send them a statement. They can get the previous wards tithing statements from their new ward clerk on the 31 of DEC for that year and have their new bishop sign.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

trinathon wrote:Also, if the student has moved out of our ward we should just mail it to their new address?
The US postal service will forward 1st class mail for up to one year. If you can't find the new address, mail the documents to their last known address. If the letter is returned, keep it in your files for the 3 year retention period.

For normal units, I'd even recomend getting "address service requested" envelops. Then, you'll get a new address to send records to if they have moved out of the ward.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”