money missing after year end close out

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
surf40

money missing after year end close out

Post by surf40 »

After MLS did its thing for the end of year closeout, I did some checking to make sure everything was fine. It wasn't. We were going to have about $1500 dollars carryover in Budget. Thats what it showed for the last report for Dec 2012. But the current 2013 budget report only shows $500 carry over. So I went looking for the missing $1000, and found it in the "other" account. It was in top level other account, not the ward created subcategories.

So, how/why did this happen? and more importantly, how do I fix it? Can I just transfer the money from other to budget?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: money missing after year end close out

Post by russellhltn »

I think it would be helpful to know where the money was prior to the year-end close out. And I think talking to Local Unit Support to see if they can fix it on their end would be preferable to making a transfer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
surf40

Re: money missing after year end close out

Post by surf40 »

The $1500 was in budget, and was left over from last year. The other clue is if I go to the previous year in budget it shows the carryover from 2011 in budget was $1000 less than what it really was. It also shows a $1000 carry over from 2011 to 2012 in the "other" category that was never there. I think somebody just wants me to fail my audit!

I'll call SLC tomorrow

Return to “Local Unit Finance”