MLS financial cleanup prior to year closeout

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

MLS financial cleanup prior to year closeout

Post by drepouille »

I was working in the stake clerk's office (my office) today. I did a send/receive on the Stake MLS, and saw two messages. One was about duplicate custom callings, and the other one told me I had received a financial statement. When I looked for financial statements, I got the message that I had to closeout the previous year. I looked at the urgent tasks, and clicked on the closeout task.

I thought something would pop up to tell me what needed to be done before the closeout could proceed. Nope. It just started down the checklist of things being closed and deleted.

Wait! I haven't done anything to prepare for the closeout! Do I need to restore an old database and do some other work before I try to closeout 2012 again? I really hope I have not hopelessly messed up my financial data by clicking on the urgent task before doing the necessary preparation for the closeout.

So confusing.
Dana in Council Bluffs
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS financial cleanup prior to year closeout

Post by russellhltn »

I believe if you do restore a prior backup, it will lock you out of the finances until you do a send/receive.

I suspect you're too late.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about. In the wiki article MLS financial cleanup, you'll see that the only things it might have been good to do is to zero out any subcategories that are no longer used. That applies primarily to the Ward Missionary category (which doesn't affect a stake, since it has no subcategories of Ward Missionary) and Other:AMFA.

Even if you neglected to zero out a subcategory that is no longer needed, the downside is simply that you'll have to wait one more year before the subcategory is entirely removed from MLS. But since you can deactivate unneeded subcategories, that's really not a big deal.

I certainly wouldn't try to restore a backup -- that's likely to make a much bigger mess.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

In the days prior to MLS (when we used MIS and FIS... which for me was prior to the end of 2004) closing out the year was a big deal and you needed to print out some data because it was deleted in order to "start fresh" on the new year. But this is not an issue anymore with MLS. You would only "lose" old data based on the necessary retention period, and if there was anything to be cleaned up from that long ago it should/would have been cleaned up a long time ago. So, in other words, move into the new year without worry.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”