Excess in Other Account for previous Scout Camp

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
David.Henderson-p40

Excess in Other Account for previous Scout Camp

Post by David.Henderson-p40 »

We currently have excess funds in an other account for scout camp 2007.
Leaders etc. have all been reimbursed for all their expenses.
We would like to roll the excess funds into this year's scout camp needs if possible.
The excess is around $50.
The other option I could see is to divide the excess funds up between those who paid to go to camp last year. . . meaning that each boy would be reimbursed a few dollars each.
Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

David.Henderson wrote:We currently have excess funds in an other account for scout camp 2007.
Leaders etc. have all been reimbursed for all their expenses.
We would like to roll the excess funds into this year's scout camp needs if possible.
The excess is around $50.
The other option I could see is to divide the excess funds up between those who paid to go to camp last year. . . meaning that each boy would be reimbursed a few dollars each.
Any suggestions?
It depends on how strictly you interpret the guidelines for using funds in the "Other" account. The policy (from the Understanding and Using the "Other" Category training lesson) is:
Funds in the “Other” category must be designated for a specific purpose and then used for that purpose.
If you interpret the purpose as "Scout Camp 2007", then you would have to return the funds to those who paid for the camp.

If you interpret the purpose as "Scout Camp", then you can use the excess funds for this year's scout camp.

The way I handle such things (consulting with my priesthood leader, of course) is to consider the amount. If it were a large amount of money, I would return the funds. But where it is just a few dollars per person, I would just roll it into the next camp. That lets you avoid a hassle for yourself (and all the people who would have to cash the small checks). However, you can't possibly go wrong by returning the funds, since that would be the strictest interpretation of the policy.

I would just present these pros and cons to my priesthood leader and let him make the decision.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In addition to what Alan_Brown explained you should refer to the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1, Budget and Expenditures, beginning on page 159 when counselling with your Bishop/Branch President.

As an auditor I will ask how the funds were acquired. If provided by individuals (the young men, their families, and such) then refunding is usually the best idea. But as Alan said, rolling into next year's camp is allowable as long as all contributors agree that is what they would like done with the excess. If the funds were acquired by fund raiser then it is impossible to identify who to refund the money. In this case the purpose of the fund raiser should be your guide. Some units will fund the scout camp through a fund raiser with the intent that any excess will go toward needed troop equipment.

The bottom line is to counsel with your Bishop/Branch President because they are ultimately responsible for how funds are allocated and used.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”