Tithing Settlement report does not match Year-to-date report

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Tithing Settlement report does not match Year-to-date re

Post by jdlessley »

sghall wrote:This method only works though if you have two donors that are the same person, but different statuses.
There are three statuses for donors; Visible, Hidden, and Merged. I think you may be thinking of donor types. There are four donor types; member (member of unit), out-of-unit (member of another unit), another unit, and nonmember (not a member/miscellaneous).

Merging requires the "From Donor" type to be nonmember because the selection list is only populated by those with that donor type. The "To Donor" type must be a membership record.
sghall wrote:In this case, MLS would not let you change the non-member to a member...
There is no reason to change the type of record from nonmember to member to get the donations tied to the nonmember donor record. That is the purpose of the merge function.
sghall wrote:What has been talked about in this thread are cases where you have just the one "nonmember" status name that no one changes to "member of unit". You can't merge it, because there is nothing to merge it with. You would have to create a new member donor to merge it with. The financial system does not automatically make one when a member joins a unit.
I believe there is a bug in MLS. Prior to version 3.5 I have merged nonmember donor records with member records for members in which no donation had been recorded using their member record. What is not working is the ability to add a member record to the list of member donors. The "Add" button is not functioning to add a member record to the list of member donors.

Notwithstanding this problem, there is a work-around to be able to make the merge happen. This requires editing the last donation made to the nonmember donor record. The edit is to change the nonmember donor name to the member record name to create a member donor record. Then the merge of the nonmember donor record with the member donor record is possible.

These are the steps to change the donor from the nonmember donor to the member record when no donations have been made under the membership record.
  1. Go to Finances and click on View/Update Donations
  2. Select the batch that the donation is in by clicking on the Date that the batch was processed on.
  3. Select the Donor that needs to have the information changed.
  4. Click the magnifier glass icon next to the donor name.
  5. Click the "Add" button on the "Select the Donor" dialogue.
  6. Click the "Yes" button when prompted "Is the new donor a member of your unit?"
  7. Select the member name from the list of membership records in your unit.
  8. Click the "Add" button on the dialogue with the donor name and the greyed out MRN.
  9. Click "OK" on the next dialogue with the note "The participant information has changed. ...".
  10. Click on "Save Donation".
  11. Enter the reason for the adjustment. Something like "donor name corrected" is fine.
  12. Click on the "Close" button in the bottom right corner to close out the batch.
    Click on "Yes" to re-print your batch report.
    Replace the old batch report with this new batch report in your file.
    The administrative office will be automatically notified of the change and will make the change to the Unit Financial Statement.
For those clerks who run into the situation where they must process a donation for a member in which the records have not arrived in the ward, or a newly baptized member record has not been received, the best procedure is to create a member donor record without recording the MRN as described in the wiki article Donor records (MLS). Creating the member donor record without the MRN will create an urgent action. Each time MLS is opened the user will be reminded of the urgent action to record the MRN. Once the record is received then the clerk can update the member donor record with the MRN. No merging of a nonmember donor record to a member record is required and all donations previously made will be linked to the member record. This saves headaches around tithing settlement as described in this thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:There is no reason to change the type of record from nonmember to member to get the donations tied to the nonmember donor record. That is the purpose of the merge function.
I can see why a merge would be necessary if a particular donor has both a nonmember donor record and a member donor record. But if all donations were recorded for a nonmember donor record and no member donor record was ever made, it is simpler to simply edit the nonmember donor record to become a member donor record, tied to the membership record number.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It appears that a merge is necessary because there's a bug in MLS 3.5 (and later, so far). As I was reviewing donor status and types last month I had a recent move-in whose donor record needed updating. Certain functions had changed since the last time I'd done this (which makes me think it's a bug) so I worked around it using a merge. Of course, I can't remember all of the details as this only affected one donor's status.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Correct you have to create/add the member as a new donor then you go into the donor list and merge the two records. After that everything should print correctly.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mrrad wrote:It appears that a merge is necessary because there's a bug in MLS 3.5 (and later, so far). As I was reviewing donor status and types last month I had a recent move-in whose donor record needed updating. Certain functions had changed since the last time I'd done this (which makes me think it's a bug) so I worked around it using a merge. Of course, I can't remember all of the details as this only affected one donor's status.
You have always had to merge the records unless the donor was added after the membership record was received.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

No. I seem to remember that, as aebrown pointed out, I used to be able to simply edit the donor's information to change him from an out-of-unit donor to a ward member without creating a new donor record. But this time, the out-of-unit donor couldn't be changed. (The donor did not have any duplicate record to interfere with editing his donor status.) So I had to create a new donor record, linked to the donor's member record, and then do a merge. As I recall, this merge workaround was not necessary in the past.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:No. I seem to remember that, as aebrown pointed out, I used to be able to simply edit the donor's information to change him from an out-of-unit donor to a ward member without creating a new donor record.
I hope you meant "nonmember" instead of "out-of-unit". Changing a donor type from 'out-of-unit' to 'member' cannot be done as long as the membership records are not in the local MLS. A donor's record is automatically changed from 'member' to 'out-of-unit' when the record is moved out of a unit.

I think there is a bug in MLS. I agree with aebrown and others that changing a donor type from 'nonmember' to 'member' should work as long as there is no other donor record linked to a MRN. From what testing I was able to do with two records it appears that in the process of changing the donor record type to 'member' that MLS is not actually linking the donor record to the membership record.

After completing all the steps to make the change I noticed that the type had changed to 'member' but the "Record Number" field was blank. I clicked on the donor name again to see what the donor record showed. The donor type was listed as "Member of unit" but the greyed out record number showed the previous nonmember donor record number and not the MRN. Of course now that the change had been made I could not make any further changes to the donor record to include merging.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I believe that what I experienced is that the correct MRN did not show on the member's donor record until after a send/receive (maybe 2) had completed and the Add/Update Donors screen had been closed and re-opened.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

jdlessley wrote:I hope you meant "nonmember" instead of "out-of-unit".
No. I meant out-of-unit. When I add someone manually and I know that person is a member of the church but their record is not in our ward then I do not designate them as a non-member. I've been doing it that way for some time and, whenever one of those persons eventually moved into the ward, there was no problem editing their donor record to link it to their membership record. It was only a problem after we got MLS 3.5 and I wanted to edit the donor record of a recent move-in.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:
jdlessley wrote:When I add someone manually and I know that person is a member of the church but their record is not in our ward then I do not designate them as a non-member.
Neither do I. For those situations where the member is moving into the ward but we have not received the record I enter them as "member" but without a MRN. I get an urgent task notice as a reminder to update the donor record with the MRN. Once we do get the membership record in I update the donor record.
JD Lessley

Return to “Local Unit Finance”