Tithing Settlement report does not match Year-to-date report

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jhardy355

Tithing Settlement report does not match Year-to-date report

Post by jhardy355 »

Printing out Tithing Settlement Statements. One member's statement shows no donations being made through the entire year on his statement. However, the Year-to-Date Donation Summary does correctly show all donations made throuout the year. So far I have only seen this for one member. Running on Version 3.5.1 software.
sghall

Re: Tithing Settlement report does not match Year-to-date re

Post by sghall »

The only time I have really seen this is when a member is not marked as a member of the unit. Usually someone will move in and pay tithing for a week or two before the records are transferred over into the ward. In these instances, the member is marked as a member of another unit or not a member. What should happen then is one of the clerks will need to go into the list of donors and change their membership status when the record is actually in the unit, linking the membership and financial record. Try this fix first.
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

I checked their status and found that the person is indeed listed as a "nonmember". When I go into "Add/Update Donor" list, I clicked on their name and their donor name and info screen come up showing that the "Not a member" choice is checked. So I clicked on the "member of unit" choice to make the change and then clicked on Save. However, I got an "Invalid Entry" message saying that the record number is an invalid format. However, there were no boxes to enter the member number next to that selection. When I clicked on "Member of Unit" choice, some boxes appeared next to the "Member of another Unit" selection, but they were grayed out. If I click on "Member of another Unit" choice the boxes next to that selection disappear.
If I click on the "Select" button which appeared, the individual is not listed. If I click on the "Individual Not Found" button it takes me back to the first window.
Is it possible that my access status does not give me permission to make that change?
sghall

Post by sghall »

When you click "Member of unit", a "Select" button with a magnifying glass appears above and a little next to the grayed out membership number spaces. You have to search for the member using that tool for it to link. If he is not showing up in that list, he might be listed under a preferred name, so try searching for his first name, instead of his last. Once you select from that list, then it will auto-populate the membership number from the record, then you can click save.

And if you have permission to even be looking at this financial menu, you have permission to change it too.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If donations have been made to a nonmember donor record, all that needs to be done is to merge the nonmember donor record to the member record. This of course assumes the membership record is in your unit. To merge these records go to Finance > Add/Update Donors. Click the "Merge Donors" button. In the Merge Donors dialog the "From Donor:" is the nonmember donor record. The "To Donor" is the member record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

There was no list of names in that search window, but if I delete the members name in the top box the the entire ward list shows up and I was able to find his name and make the change. However, when I printed out his Tithing Settlement statement again after fixing this there were still no donations listed for the year, which I guess is expected since he was designated as a non-member the whole year.
Thanks
sghall

Post by sghall »

You will have to do a send/receive first. Afterward, I believe they should sync up.
surf40

Post by surf40 »

Same thing happened to me. A man was baptized last July. The Sunday after his baptism he paid tithing. When the clerk was entering his donation, he could not find a member by that name, so created a “nonmember” donor and entered the tithing. Several weeks later the membership came in, but the donor record was never changed from Nonmember to member, so all of his donations for this years were input to his name as a nonmember.

When the bishop printed out this new member’s Tithing Statement, it showed zero payments, I printed out the donor statement, and it showed the full amount paid. It was on the donor page that I noticed he was listed as a nonmember. So I went into the Add/Update Donor screen, and changed him from nonmember to member. But that did not change his Tithing Statement, it still shows zero. Not a big problem, as the bishop will use the Donor statement for tithing settlement, but how can the clerks avoid this problem in the future?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

surf40 wrote:A man was baptized last July. The Sunday after his baptism he paid tithing. When the clerk was entering his donation, he could not find a member by that name, so created a “nonmember” donor and entered the tithing. Several weeks later the membership came in, but the donor record was never changed from Nonmember to member, so all of his donations for this years were input to his name as a nonmember.
This is where the nonmember donor record should be merged with the member record. Changing the membership status of the nonmember donor record does not link the nonmember donations with the membership record. Only merging the records does this.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sghall

Post by sghall »

jdlessley wrote:This is where the nonmember donor record should be merged with the member record. Changing the membership status of the nonmember donor record does not link the nonmember donations with the membership record. Only merging the records does this.
This method only works though if you have two donors that are the same person, but different statuses. In this case, MLS would not let you change the non-member to a member also, because it knows only one record should be linked to one member. What has been talked about in this thread are cases where you have just the one "nonmember" status name that no one changes to "member of unit". You can't merge it, because there is nothing to merge it with. You would have to create a new member donor to merge it with. The financial system does not automatically make one when a member joins a unit.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”