Good Projector for small groups

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
johnshaw

Re: Good Projector for small groups

Post by johnshaw »

be careful of a USB port, not all of them will support video, specifically mp4

VGA + sound, HDMI, RCA, and Video supported MP4 over USB are what you are looking for
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:How was I supposed to budget for the capabilities for 6 classes to play videos all at the same time last April/May when I didn't find out about the new curriculum until a month ago?
Don't know why that should fall on your shoulders. If the church though it was important to have that capability, they would have told the FM group to supply it. Or at the very least, sent a letter saying just how to fund this.
wsplawn

Post by wsplawn »

If you will bear with me a moment longer. Why would a monitor have a slot to plug-in a flash drive? In order to access whatever is on the flash drive you would need a mouse wouldn't you? And some sort of processor?

Are you suggesting that you could plug a flash drive directly into a monitor and access the videos without the use of an external processor? Just wondering. I'm not a geek either, but in today's world - who knows what's possible?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TVs these days are digital, so they already have a processor. The question is, what formats do they support?
wsplawn

Post by wsplawn »

If it is of interest, the link below will take you to a Samsung 40 inch Smart TV that will play direct from a flash drive. It sells for around $300.00

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... J8BEOUNMAA
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

wsplawn wrote:If it is of interest, the link below will take you to a Samsung 40 inch Smart TV that will play direct from a flash drive. It sells for around $300.00
$300 X 6 = 7.2 YM who do not go to camp without personal funds or fundraisers.

I wonder does that fall under "ward budget does not have sufficient funds to pay for". http://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2- ... eng#13.2.8
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

wsplawn wrote:If you will bear with me a moment longer. Why would a monitor have a slot to plug-in a flash drive? In order to access whatever is on the flash drive you would need a mouse wouldn't you? And some sort of processor?

Are you suggesting that you could plug a flash drive directly into a monitor and access the videos without the use of an external processor? Just wondering. I'm not a geek either, but in today's world - who knows what's possible?
It doesn't have a mouse, but does have a remote and everything is menu driven.

You linked to a TV, but the Television part is pretty usless. That is why we are looking at just monitors for less money.
Last edited by TinMan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

russellhltn wrote:
TinMan wrote:How was I supposed to budget for the capabilities for 6 classes to play videos all at the same time last April/May when I didn't find out about the new curriculum until a month ago?
Don't know why that should fall on your shoulders. If the church though it was important to have that capability, they would have told the FM group to supply it. Or at the very least, sent a letter saying just how to fund this.
So what is all the concern about how to play the videos in the new curriculum if, as you say, the church doesn't think they are important?

It falls on my shoulders because I have young men and young women leaders and Sunday School teachers asking me how they can play the videos for their new lessons. It is a little frustrating when the Church says, "here is all this great stuff for lessons, but don't ask us how to access it."
Last edited by TinMan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator Note: The posts continuing the discussion about funding has been split off to the thread Funding Good Projector for small groups Please keep the discussion of this thread focused on the OP topic. Please post any related but side issues in another thread.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”