How to figure YM, YW budgets

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: How to figure YM, YW budgets

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:While I'm sure a point of comparison is welcome, I don't know if that breakdown is meaningful without knowing the population breakdown of the ward. For example the number of YM, YW, YSA, SA, attendance levels, etc.

I'm not saying this to encourage disclosure, but to caution others about comparing it to their ward.
By no means did I intend my numbers to be what others would have there are many different variables that come into play. Expenses in a ward with a larger or smaller number or Youth would certainly be different. As would a ward with a larger or smaller attendance figures. The percent of the allowance the stake withhold would also have an impact. How youth camps are funded would have an impact as well.
idjeeper2

Re: How to figure YM, YW budgets

Post by idjeeper2 »

Gary_Miller wrote:It hard to give a percent as every unit does things a little different. The biggest thing you have to remember is that everything except the Long Term Camps and Equipment or Supplies for such camps has to be expensed out of the local unit budget allowance. In my unit we have to ask for some help from the participants 2012s was $75 from YM and $40 from YW that was about 1/3 of the total cost per individual for camps. The remainder for the YM camp from LUBA and fundraising, for the YW it came out of LUBA.

Our current breakdown for 2013s budget by percent of estimated allowance is listed below. The percent is subject to change once the expense totals for 2012 are final. Percentages are base on a comparison of the last two years expenses and doctored a little to meet current projected needs. These are the major categories under each one I collect expenses in a sub-categories so we get a better picture of where expenses are going.

Activities 10%
Administration 10%
Curriculum 7%
Elders Quorum 1%
High Priests 1%
Library 3%
Miscellaneous 3%
Primary 15%
Relief Society 5%
Single Adults 0%
Sunday School 0%
Young Men 20%
Young Women 15%
Thanks, that is just what I was hoping for, without totally realizing how close to the line I was getting. Thanks to JDLessley for the reminder.

Another question for you and any others who care to reply - what kinds of fundraisers have you had and what seems to have higher success?

[Moderator note: I have created a new topic ( https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14605 ) for the fundraising question (which I am also trying to rename).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”