How to figure YM, YW budgets

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: How to figure YM, YW budgets

Post by Gary_Miller »

It hard to give a percent as every unit does things a little different. The biggest thing you have to remember is that everything except the Long Term Camps and Equipment or Supplies for such camps has to be expensed out of the local unit budget allowance. In my unit we have to ask for some help from the participants 2012s was $75 from YM and $40 from YW that was about 1/3 of the total cost per individual for camps. The remainder for the YM camp from LUBA and fundraising, for the YW it came out of LUBA.

Our current breakdown for 2013s budget by percent of estimated allowance is listed below. The percent is subject to change once the expense totals for 2012 are final. Percentages are base on a comparison of the last two years expenses and doctored a little to meet current projected needs. These are the major categories under each one I collect expenses in a sub-categories so we get a better picture of where expenses are going.

Activities 10%
Administration 10%
Curriculum 7%
Elders Quorum 1%
High Priests 1%
Library 3%
Miscellaneous 3%
Primary 15%
Relief Society 5%
Single Adults 0%
Sunday School 0%
Young Men 20%
Young Women 15%
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

You seem to be missing YSA from that list - and that is one area where the increase in LUBA was supposed to go towards?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Gary_Miller wrote:It hard to give a percent as every unit does things a little different. The biggest thing you have to remember is that everything except the Long Term Camps and Equipment or Supplies for such camps has to be expensed out of the local unit budget allowance. In my unit we have to ask for some help from the participants 2012s was $75 from YM and $40 from YW that was about 1/3 of the total cost per individual for camps. The remainder for the YM camp from LUBA and fundraising, for the YW it came out of LUBA.

Our current breakdown for 2013s budget by percent of estimated allowance is listed below. The percent is subject to change once the expense totals for 2012 are final. Percentages are base on a comparison of the last two years expenses and doctored a little to meet current projected needs. These are the major categories under each one I collect expenses in a sub-categories so we get a better picture of where expenses are going.

Activities 10%
Administration 10%
Curriculum 7%
Elders Quorum 1%
High Priests 1%
Library 3%
Miscellaneous 3%
Primary 15%
Relief Society 5%
Single Adults 0%
Sunday School 0%
Young Men 20%
Young Women 15%
Gary, for a guy who really does a great job of scouring the handbook related to budget items, I find the VAST difference between your Young Men and Young Women budgets surprising. It seems to not be in accordance with what the handbook wants to happen.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

dannykos wrote:You seem to be missing YSA from that list - and that is one area where the increase in LUBA was supposed to go towards?
Some Wards/Stakes will do this differently depending on whether a stake or surrounding area has a YSA Branch/Ward/Stake.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

dannykos wrote:You seem to be missing YSA from that list - and that is one area where the increase in LUBA was supposed to go towards?
We have a YSA Ward in our stake they get all the YSA budget allowance and take care of all the YSA activities. While the YSA can choose where they attend we encourage them to attend the YSA ward.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JohnShaw wrote:Gary, for a guy who really does a great job of scouring the handbook related to budget items, I find the VAST difference between your Young Men and Young Women budgets surprising. It seems to not be in accordance with what the handbook wants to happen.
Not having the exact reference if I remember correctly the Handbooks says something along the lines of activities for YM should be consistent with the level of activities for the YW, and every effort should be made to ensure budget allocations are at or near the same amount. I'll go by the church and verify later today.

While we do our best to provide equal amounts of funds it seems that no matter what happens YM always need more funds. This is due to the scouting program and the cost of a monthly camp-outs and awards, which is something the YW don't seem to do much of. There is also the cost of the annual camps the cost for YM camps cost a lot more than YW camps. We make every effort to ensure the level of activities is consistent which is hard to do since YW don't do monthly camp-outs.

I will tell you that 15% of the annual budget allowance is a great improvement. The two year (2011-2012) average expense for the YW was 9% of the LUBA where the YM was 20%. For 2013 the YW have a 3% increase in allowance where the YM have close to a 10% decrease.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Our current breakdown for 2013s budget by percent of estimated allowance is listed below.
Do you use the remaining 10% as some type of emergency reserve, or perhaps to compensate if attendance were to decline during the year?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:Do you use the remaining 10% as some type of emergency reserve, or perhaps to compensate if attendance were to decline during the year?
Both.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Our current breakdown for 2013s budget by percent of estimated allowance is listed below.
While I'm sure a point of comparison is welcome, I don't know if that breakdown is meaningful without knowing the population breakdown of the ward. For example the number of YM, YW, YSA, SA, attendance levels, etc.

I'm not saying this to encourage disclosure, but to caution others about comparing it to their ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

Moderator Note: Just so there is no temptation to post membership or financial data please remember the Code of Conduct which states:
You may not post any of the following:
Actual membership, financial, statistical, or other data from Church records. The use of fictitious data is generally allowed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”