How to figure YM, YW budgets

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Sometimes an organization has a surplus that they are allowed to carry over because they have a plan. The surplus wasn't because they didn't need it, but because they've got something in mind for the following year.
I have yet come across a good reason for an organization to plan an activity that would require them to carry over funds from one year to the next. Maybe you could provide some examples where you have seen this happen.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Gary_Miller wrote:I have yet come across a good reason for an organization to plan an activity that would require them to carry over funds from one year to the next. Maybe you could provide some examples where you have seen this happen.

Our stake arranges (and pays) for youth conference every other year and the ward is responsible for the years in between. We plan on carrying over a surplus in years that we don't pay for youth conference so that other budgets are more even from year to year. However, I manage this in a separate budget sub-category specifically for youth conference and not in the general ym or yw budget.

I can also see either the YM or YW planning a less expensive summer camp on year so that they have money for a more expensive one the next. But again, I'd manage that with a special sub-category just for that activity.
jedwards7

Post by jedwards7 »

I was told we get a certain amount of money according to how many ym or yw are in each organization and their is a formula to figure this out. Is this not the case? Should I just estimate what we got the year before to give the organizations an estimate?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jedwards7 wrote:I was told we get a certain amount of money according to how many ym or yw are in each organization and their is a formula to figure this out. Is this not the case? Should I just estimate what we got the year before to give the organizations an estimate?
Yes, a portion of the budget allowance is based on the number of YM and YW who attended meetings. But the stake typically takes some portion of that, so you'd have to include that in your calculation. And that amount was never intended to be the full YM/YW budget; in my experience a significant portion of the general budget allocation is also allocated to the youth.

Although you may consider past expenses or these YM/YW budget allowance components as some factors in your budgeting, the fundamental principle is the one I mentioned earlier from Handbook 1, Section 14.7.1: organizations are supposed to estimate their needs for the upcoming year based on their planned activities and other expenses. That may or may not be very similar to the previous year's expenses.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jedwards7 wrote:I was told we get a certain amount of money according to how many ym or yw are in each organization and their is a formula to figure this out. Is this not the case? Should I just estimate what we got the year before to give the organizations an estimate?
Each quarter you receive a Quarterly Budget Allowance Statement. This statement will show you the breakdown on how the allowance is figured. As long as the statements have not been deleted you can print them from MLS.
jedwards7

Post by jedwards7 »

Thanks for all the replies.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re:

Post by Mikerowaved »

Gary_Miller wrote:I have yet come across a good reason for an organization to plan an activity that would require them to carry over funds from one year to the next. Maybe you could provide some examples where you have seen this happen.
It happens on occasion. One ward I was in held a fundraiser for youth camp in the fall and had the funds carried over to the following year's camp.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Re: How to figure YM, YW budgets

Post by johnshaw »

This is where I've seen it as well. The training WBT also covers carrying over excess funds that were designated for a specific camp as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Re: Re:

Post by Gary_Miller »

Mikerowaved wrote:It happens on occasion. One ward I was in held a fundraiser for youth camp in the fall and had the funds carried over to the following year's camp.
Yes that does happen but fundraiser money goes in to the AMFA which is different from the LUBA. I was speaking specifically of the LUBA.
idjeeper2

Re: How to figure YM, YW budgets

Post by idjeeper2 »

I've been struggling with these categories and would appreciate some input. Hopefully I'm not getting to far afield for this topic.

According to Handbook 2, the annual camp for youth is supposed to be paid out of the budget (first preference). If we pay for scout camp, it will take close to 25% of our total budget. Then we have to figure out how to pay for YW camp and high adventure. In addition, we have to pay for monthly scout campouts, 3 11-year old campouts, daycamps for cubs and 11-year olds, and awards for all groups. In the end, it would be nice to have some funds left over for the other organizations. :)

I know that there are other options for funding some of these, but I'm curious about how other units are funding all of this. If you can give a percentage of total budget, that would be nice for comparison.

Thanks

Return to “Local Unit Finance”