Ward Missionary Fund Balance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Missionary Fund Balance

Post by aebrown »

shbishop wrote:Our Branch Clerk told me that a Senior Couple pays for both the month they start and the month they return. According to his understanding most younger Missionaries would have 25 deductions for a 24 month Mission and Senior Missionaries would have 19 deductions for an 18 month mission.
The rules are sometimes different for Senior Missionaries, but your clerk's understanding for younger missionaries is definitely incorrect. Most elders will have 24 deductions for a 24-month mission. The first payment is deducted early in the month the missionary enters the MTC, but there will only be 24 payments unless the missionary serves at least 15 days longer than 2 full years (in which case it would indeed be 25 payments). Sometimes a missionary will serve more than 24.5 months because of extensions or just the way the transfer dates work out, but the majority serve less than that and have only 24 payments.

Since your clerk certainly misunderstood the payment schedule for elders, I would have some doubts about his blanket statements about senior missionaries.
shbishop wrote:One couple paid 18 times but only served 17 months due to a passport visa problem. Was that 18th deduction caused by the Pay Every Month program or because CHQ was not notified that the couple had come home early?
I can't speak to this particular case, but I'd be wary of generalizing from one particular situation, especially one with an unusual aspect.
eblood66

Re: Ward Missionary Fund Balance

Post by eblood66 »

shbishop wrote:Our Branch Clerk told me that a Senior Couple pays for both the month they start and the month they return. According to his understanding most younger Missionaries would have 25 deductions for a 24 month Mission
I can't say for certain about senior couples but this information is definitely incorrect for younger missionaries. A younger missionary who serves 24 months will have exactly 24 payments withdrawn, not 25. And I haven't heard anything to indicate that it is different for seniors either.
shbishop wrote:and Senior Missionaries would have 19 deductions for an 18 month mission. One couple paid 18 times but only served 17 months due to a passport visa problem. Was that 18th deduction caused by the Pay Every Month program or because CHQ was not notified that the couple had come home early?
Hard to say. You'd have to contact the Global Service Center or the missionary department to find out why for a specific case like that.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”