A taxing question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

A taxing question

Post by Mikerowaved »

I live in Utah and was asked to cut a rather large check, knowing I would get a receipt a few weeks later. The receipt arrived today and I found there was over $100 of sales tax listed. I can find no way in MLS to go back and change the original check from $0 tax to the amount on the receipt. I would like the Church to get the credit due, but I'm not sure how to go about it. :confused:

Before I give CHQ a call, anyone have a suggestion or run into this before?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I just played around with it and do not see a way to change the tax amount. If you clear the entry and try to enter it again, you cannot use the same reference number. The only change possible seems to be the category and the total amount. We do not have to worry about taxes here, so I do not have much experience with it.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

To overcome a different problem our Area MSR department instructed us to void the original cheque, then to enter the correct details appending a letter to the cheque number i.e. "123456a". It is possible that this solution could work for the situation you find yourself in.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

According to the call center, all I have to do is provide them the check number and tax amount, either by phone or message, and they will make the adjustment there. It's not something they run across very often, but they can take care of it. If only all businesses had such good, knowledgeable people answering their support phones.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”