How to pay tithing online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to pay tithing online?

Post by russellhltn »

milojury wrote:Should I stop using my bill pay and ACH to make my tithing payment? I think everything is done electronically, so I think there is no more manpower costs for CH. How would I be able to tell if this is the case?
Any advice?
It depend on what country you are in. The last news we had was that for the US (and presumably Canada) it was still a manual process at the CHQ end.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
awbcolorado

Post by awbcolorado »

We set it up through CHQ using the form they provided. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Am I wrong about it? If CHQ headquarters didn't want it done then why have an official form to do it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While it's automatic for you, the problem is it's not automatic for CHQ. That process was intended for exceptional situations such as service members serving a a war zone.

We used to have instructions for how to do it, but we've been asked to remove them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

awbcolorado wrote:If CHQ headquarters didn't want it done then why have an official form to do it?
CHQ has an official form for exceptional situations (as russellhlt are trying to make clear since the beginning). Official and Exceptional doesn't exclude each other.
jondcm

Post by jondcm »

Interesting because when I just set up my account with Wells Fargo they showed me how to pay tithing right away.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jondcm wrote:Interesting because when I just set up my account with Wells Fargo they showed me how to pay tithing right away.
What country are you in? It is not automatic in the U.S. and you must fill out a form and send it into the administration office to set it up.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dougj

Post by dougj »

I've been doing this for a couple of years from Provo, UT. My credit union (America First) verified that they do an electronic transfer to the Church.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I have reports from online communities I participate with that there doesn't seem to be any kind of push back from SLC, people are calling the church and the department is sending them the form to fill out. I now have had 7 - 10 people from all over the country tell me they've setup accounts in the last year because they want to do bill-pay.....

Can we get an updated message from that department... I feel like a dork when I say something and the member can call the church and get around it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

OK, so I was so confused by this, enough to call into donations a few minutes ago. It seems the church isn't as reluctant as we've been communicating... it appears their reluctance is more the onslaught of announcing it as generally available, but the woman I spoke to said they in NO way are discouraging it, and in fact, if you use Wells Fargo it's nearly automatic.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote:Can we get an updated message from that department...
Feel free to contact the finance department about this.

We have been told they do not refuse any requests sent in using the signup form. They make the assumption that if a request was made then there is a valid reason for the request. They do not want us making the process public in the forum or the wiki for the reasons stated previously.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”