How to pay tithing online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: How to pay tithing online?

Post by Mikerowaved »

tubaloth wrote:Any update with Paying Tithing online. Some Stake Technology clerk "heard" that the church was doing some Beta test of paying Tithing online -- or to the church. It would then show up in some Download the Bishop/clerk could get.
Not sure if we are any closer to this happening or not?
It looks like they are there... sort of. I spoke with one of the staff on the phone and he said they currently have in place a system whereby members can pay using the billpay system from most of the popular banks in the US. The donation will show up in your local unit's MLS and your year end statement. You will also get email confirmation of your donations. If you follow the instructions found earlier in this thread and drop them an email, they will reply with an application form to fill out and email back to them, similar to the one below.
BillPayForm.jpg
(81.85 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Return the form and they will give you specific instructions, unique to your bank on how to setup the billpay process.

The problem lies in the fact they currently only have a staff of SIX(!) to handle all the new requests, answer phones, work out problems, and who knows what else. They are more than happy to enroll anyone living in the US into the system, *BUT*, he made it clear that their staff would quickly get swamped if this were announced churchwide. He didn't say if there were any plans of streamlining the enrollment process or beefing up the staff, so we have to assume it is what it is and respect their request not to publish this in bulletins or announce it over the pulpit quite yet. Bottom line, if you would like to test the water yourself, you are welcome to give it a try.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eretipeterbirati

Post by eretipeterbirati »

Please I really need help for how can I pay my tithing online.
eretipeterbirati

Post by eretipeterbirati »

Can some one help me to teach me how can I go through this and must be done soon. I really wants to pay tithing online and I prefer paying mine through online.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

eretipeterbirati I send you a private message. You just need to email the church. You need to know how to set up a bill pay on your banks website.
alanmitchell

Post by alanmitchell »

Check out Online Donations at https://www.lds.org/help/support/financ ... s?lang=eng

It says that "ONLINE DONATIONS IS CURRENTLY LIMITED TO BETA USERS ONLY", but it looks like online donation though an LDS account is coming soon :D
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

Does anybody know how to sign up or do become a Beta User?

One thing I was going to set up with my bank is like a scheduled payment. To just have the bill pay take money out twice a month, do we know if this new online donations is or can do that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tubaloth wrote:Does anybody know how to sign up or do become a Beta User?
It's not an open beta. I happen to know someone whose ward is participating in the beta, but I'm sure it is only open to people in those selected wards/branches/stakes.
tubaloth wrote:One thing I was going to set up with my bank is like a scheduled payment. To just have the bill pay take money out twice a month, do we know if this new online donations is or can do that?
I know nothing more than what I can read in the linked document, but there was clearly no ability listed at this time for repeating donations. We could certainly hope that such a feature will be added in the future, but to begin with, you'll just have to make manual donations (which can copy a previous donation, but still have to be done manually each time you want to donate).
blueeyesca

Post by blueeyesca »

Hello!

Can you send me the email address to contact the Church Office ? I 'd like to get the form filled
out and sent back to them today if possible.

Thanks for your help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

blueeyesca wrote:Can you send me the email address to contact the Church Office ? I 'd like to get the form filled out and sent back to them today if possible.
See this post for the address and some other helpful instructions.
roscomann

Post by roscomann »

Here's the challenge to this option of having a check sent to your home address. I am one who needs to figure out how to make distributions from a Charitable Fund to pay for tithing and, if the audit trail leaves any question as to the correct/proper allocation to the charity, it can cause issues from an audit perspective. I would really not want to send a check to my personal address and then deliver by hand as this can trigger an audit due to the potential conflict of interest. While I know the check is made payable to the ward, it's not a very good way to go if you're trying to make your donation from a source other than your personal checking account. Also, I think it would be faster just to write the check yourself than have the bank go to the expense/hassle of just sending you a check to then give to the bishopric.

This is going to become more and more an issue as the millennial generation turns to electronic banks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”