Policy question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

Policy question

Post by aclawson »

HB2: 13.2.9 reads "Church funds may not be used to purchase uniforms for individuals."

Are merit badges, patches and other awards (Faith in God, Duty to God for example) considered "uniforms" and cannot be provided by the ward or is that an interpretation left up to the bishop?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:HB2: 13.2.9 reads "Church funds may not be used to purchase uniforms for individuals."

Are merit badges, patches and other awards (Faith in God, Duty to God for example) considered "uniforms" and cannot be provided by the ward or is that an interpretation left up to the bishop?
I've never heard of that interpretation. It is contrary to the practice in every ward I've ever been associated with in any way, plus to my thinking it doesn't even make sense. A badge or other award is not a uniform, just because it goes on a uniform. That's like saying a shingle is a house because it goes on a house.

I guess the interpretation is up to the bishop, but I'd advise him to consult with the stake president before he starts enforcing such an unusual interpretation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:HB2: 13.2.9 reads "Church funds may not be used to purchase uniforms for individuals."

For us, "uniforms" means clothing. We budget and pay for merit badges, most patches, and other awards.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

lajackson wrote:For us, "uniforms" means clothing. We budget and pay for merit badges, most patches, and other awards.

Such would make sense to me, but having every jot and tittle addressed makes for a fun hobby.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Scouting is the activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthood. Funding guidelines are that the budget pays all expenses, with the exception of long term camp and equipment. Awards all awards are part of the program and are to be paid for out of the Budget.

Awards are not considered uniforms, and to try and make them such so you don't have to pay for them is just plan insanity. I have yet been in any ward that would classify awards as uniforms.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One other Handbook quote relevant to the original post is found in HB2, 10.7.2: "Ward leaders may obtain Personal Progress certificates and awards through Church Distribution Services. They use ward budget funds to purchase these items." There it is very clearly stated that at least YW awards are purchased using ward budget funds. That eliminates the possibility of interpreting the prohibition on purchasing uniforms to apply to all awards.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

No. Not even according to the BSA. The BSA uses 8 Methods in order to achieve the Aims of Scouting (Character Development, Citizenship Training, Personal Fitness). The BSA uses the Uniform Method, true, but a uniform is not required for the scout to participate. The BSA also uses the Advancement method, in which the scout plans his own advancement and meets challenges, and is rewarded for each achievement. These awards are given even if the scout never puts on a uniform.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”