Membership Record Number for out of unit donors

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
klwilkinson

Membership Record Number for out of unit donors

Post by klwilkinson »

Today was the first time we've had donations from an out of unit donor since we've been using the new donation slips. The member had their membership record number on the slip, but when I added the member as a donor in MLS, it asked for address information and not a membership record number. I didn't have an address, so I just entered the name and processed the donation. Afterwards, when looking at the list of donors to try and edit the information, I still didn't see a way to add the membership number. Am I missing something? If so, can anyone tell me how or where in MLS this info is to be entered?

Note: I'm the ward clerk and don't have to do finances much because I have a really good financial clerk who handles all of the finances. Unfortunately, he's out of town for a few weeks and can't help me on this one.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

klwilkinson wrote:Today was the first time we've had donations from an out of unit donor since we've been using the new donation slips. The member had their membership record number on the slip, but when I added the member as a donor in MLS, it asked for address information and not a membership record number. I didn't have an address, so I just entered the name and processed the donation. Afterwards, when looking at the list of donors to try and edit the information, I still didn't see a way to add the membership number. Am I missing something? If so, can anyone tell me how or where in MLS this info is to be entered?

I believe this is a new feature coming with MLS 3.5. You would specify the donor as "Member of another unit" (just like you do now), but you'll be able to enter the MRN (which with MLS 3.4.3 is only possible for a "Member of unit"). So for now, just enter them as "Member of another unit" and then when that feature is added, you can quickly review your donor list for donors of that type and then edit them to add their MRN.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Another reason I am SO glad that we have a huge supply of "old" donation slips.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

waynecooke wrote:Another reason I am SO glad that we have a huge supply of "old" donation slips.
Its no big deal nothing changes everything process the same.
stschoey

Post by stschoey »

We are running MLS 3.5.1 and I can't see how to enter the membership number from the Add\Update Donors. Is this feature enabled yet?
bvs6

Re: Membership Record Number for out of unit donors

Post by bvs6 »

Has anyone seen this in MLS yet, the option to add the Membership Record Number when a donor from a different unit is added?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The update to include this capability has not been deployed yet. The previous post mentioning 3.5 was only a guess. We also have not heard anything about any expected release. It will happen when it happens. There is nothing we, the community, can do about it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
timcollins84

Post by timcollins84 »

I know that this is an old thread, but has anyone figured out if this is possible or not? I have a few donations to a missionary fund from out of unit family members and have no way to enter their MRN for tax purposes.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

timcollins84 wrote:I know that this is an old thread, but has anyone figured out if this is possible or not? I have a few donations to a missionary fund from out of unit family members and have no way to enter their MRN for tax purposes.
I have not yet seen it. If there is no place to enter the MRN in MLS when you record the donation slip during a deposit, then it has not been implemented in MLS.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Another reason I am SO glad that we have a huge supply of "old" donation slips.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”