How to view Ward Financial status?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know as there is a way to see how much is available "in the checking account" for the ward.

A couple of months ago I made the mistake of writing a large budget check based on what was available on the budget report. I overdrew the budget and it took a call to figure it out. The budget reports include whatever you estimate unrecieved quarterly allocations will be, plus a mysterious "Misc" allocation estimate. The accurate current amount comes from an income and expense summery report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:A couple of months ago I made the mistake of writing a large budget check based on what was available on the budget report. I overdrew the budget and it took a call to figure it out. The budget reports include whatever you estimate unrecieved quarterly allocations will be, plus a mysterious "Misc" allocation estimate. The accurate current amount comes from an income and expense summery report.
That may have been true in the past, but there is no Income and Expense report available for the Budget category.

The Budget Summary Report is really your only option; you just need to understand the role of the estimates in that report.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

aebrown wrote:That may have been true in the past, but there is no Income and Expense report available for the Budget category.

The Budget Summary Report is really your only option; you just need to understand the role of the estimates in that report.

I'm pretty sure that if I went to the Church and logged into MLS, clicked Finance then Income and Expense Report, the default screen (current year summary) would show a budget total as well as ward missionary and other totals. If finances were available yet on clerk tools, I could check on it now.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The MLS default Income and Expense Report is a summary by category for the current year. The line items are Book of Mormon, Budget, Fast Offerings, General Missionary Fund, Humanitarian Aid, Other, Perpetual Education, Temple Construction, Tithing, and Ward Missionary Fund. The columns are Balance Forward, Income, Expenses, Transfers, and Balance. The Transfers column amount for Budget is the allowance amount received to date and the total is the rollover from last year plus allowance received to date less any expenses. What is missing from this report for budget would be the 4th quarter estimated amount.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

wrigjef wrote:The budget reports include whatever you estimate unrecieved quarterly allocations will be, plus a mysterious "Misc" allocation estimate. The accurate current amount comes from an income and expense summery report.
You can change these estimates as the year goes by. At the first of the year I average all of last years and then use that as the estimates. As the year goes by you can adjust the estimates by averaging the last four quarters.

Or you can do like I did and make a spread sheet in which you use the figures from the quarterly report to figure what you projected budget will be and use that estimate. Its real easy to do if you study the "Quarterly Budget Allowance" statement, the figures you need are all there.

For Miscellaneous I suggest you estimate it at "zero" it rare that you will have this unless HQ does an adjustment for some reason. If they do then it will show as actual income.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

What we do in our Ward, as far as the "estimates" go is not to use any. We just take each allotment and use that amount as the available funds. The Bishop has determined a certain percentage of the available funds for each of the Auxiliaries in the Ward, and those are the funds they have to work with for the quarter, and then, of course, the funds not used carry on to the next quarter. The same goes for the end of the year. It works for us, and we can really keep a "short leash" on them when it comes to their expenses. "You can't spend it if you don't have it".
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

waynecooke wrote:What we do in our Ward, as far as the "estimates" go is not to use any. We just take each allotment and use that amount as the available funds. The Bishop has determined a certain percentage of the available funds for each of the Auxiliaries in the Ward, and those are the funds they have to work with for the quarter, and then, of course, the funds not used carry on to the next quarter.
I prefer to have an activity based budget. Where the individuality organizations project their own budget base on their estimated cost of their activities, it causes thought when planning both activities and expenses. Not just handing out a percentage of funds that ether has no bases or is based on prior year expenses.
waynecooke wrote: The same goes for the end of the year.
Last year I was called as finance clerk a week after tithing settlement started. By the time I figured out what was happening with the Budget we ended up carrying over $1,600 dollars. Not this year by the end of December our budget will be "zero", I will have made sure we spent every last penny. There is always something that can be purchase at the EOY, without wasting it, that can take the strain of of next years budget. If the auxiliaries can't spend out their share I will do it through the clerks office and library on Paper, Stamps, Printer/copier ink, sacrament cups, file folders, ect.. The way the church is setup with distribution and stables I can spend allot of money very quickly at the last minute.
waynecooke wrote:It works for us, and we can really keep a "short leash" on them when it comes to their expenses.
While it may work it makes it hard to do long term planning.
waynecooke wrote: "You can't spend it if you don't have it".
If you don't know what you may have you can not plan.

Even church leaders in Salt Lake plan long term based on estimate income.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:by the end of December our budget will be "zero", I will have made sure we spent every last penny. There is always something that can be purchase at the EOY, without wasting it, that can take the strain of of next years budget. If the auxiliaries can't spend out their share I will do it through the clerks office and library on Paper, Stamps, Printer/copier ink, sacrament cups, file folders, ect..

Perhaps your stake has a policy about any left over funds, but since the change over to CUBS the default is that any money left over carries over. No more "spend it or lose it".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Perhaps your stake has a policy about any left over funds, but since the change over to CUBS the default is that any money left over carries over. No more "spend it or lose it".
While CUBS gives you the capability to carry funds over, I pretty sure the church policy is, still, to return any surplus budget back to CHQ. I don't have handbook one right in front of me so I can't quote the exact wording. I also understand its up-to the stake on how this is to be handled.

Ether way it has noting to do with a "spend it or lose it" mentality but has everything to do with the budget is there to be use within the Fiscal Year so why not use it as long as its being used wisely. I spend lots of money every year on the items I listed so why not purchase it in bulk using the left over funds at the end of the year, especially since I have tracked it and now know what I will need for the year. That way there is more funds available to for to the auxiliary activities instead of administration supplies.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I pretty sure the church policy is, still, to return any surplus budget back to CHQ.
I would imagine that's true of "excess funds" - that is funds well in excess of the unit's needs. I don't think anyone will complain over $100 left over, but would start asking questions if more then half the unit's annual budget is still there at the end of the year.

Depending on what the bishop has told them, some auxiliaries may be counting on a carry over at the end of the year to fund next year's activities. I wouldn't touch their funds without the bishop's permission.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”