Other: misc

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

jdlessley wrote:Which is it? Is it a subcategory of Other or a subcategory of Other:AMFA? It is important to know exactly whether the category is under Other or under Other:AMFA.

Only headquarters can create subcategories of Other.
Sorry. Since, as you point out, we can't create subcategories of Other and Salt Lake creating any would be very unusual, I just always equate AMFA and Other as being the same thing. To be more precise the category in question was "Other:AMFA:other" and the others I mentioned were "Other:AMFA:misc" and "Other:AMFA:Unidentified Expenses". I deeply apologize for the confusion and beg your forgiveness. By the way, I just called Salt Lake about a specific unit issue and asked the question. The brother said that they were not generating Other or AMFA subcategories categories that's only done in Budget
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:I deeply apologize for the confusion and beg your forgiveness.
No apology necessary. I was just asking the questions to narrow the point of issue so that we can be of assistance in providing direction.

The only other thing to be resolved was whether these subcategories had a green dot or a red x. I suspect they have a green dot and therefore can, and should, be managed to make them comply with policies. This I guess is what your intent was in posting here - to find out if you should manage them appropriately to comply with policies.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

While down at the stake center tonight I checked on the computer to see about the two added subcategories which were added under AMFA.
The first one is listed as Other: Unidentified Amounts. The second one is listed as AMFA: Clearing Fund. I went to the Add/Update Categories screen and noted that both of these subcategories are Red X items (which to me connotates that they come from some outside source rather than unit created. The First subcategory is listed exactly as I described under AMFA - Other: Unidentified Amounts. The second one is actually titled CAO/Headquarters Adjustments.

So my question from above post still remains - does anyone know why these were added and what the purpose of them are? When I called LUS about a month ago they had no idea where they came from or what they were intended for. The did send me an email that they were downloading a file to clear the extra categories in Other but it did nothing as the two new categories did not go away.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

FFRsqpilot wrote:So my question from above post still remains - does anyone know why these were added and what the purpose of them are? When I called LUS about a month ago they had no idea where they came from or what they were intended for. The did send me an email that they were downloading a file to clear the extra categories in Other but it did nothing as the two new categories did not go away.

I could speculate, but I don't know. And as for LUS, I'm confident that if you find the right person in LUS to talk to, you'd find out the answer. But for somewhat obscure questions like these, it can be difficult to find the right person.

If this were my situation, I'd look into what transactions are in those categories. Do a Income and Expense Report, details by subcategory, for each of those two categories, and specify All for the date range. I'm guessing that the transactions will give you a better clue as to what they are for. Another important question is what the current balance is. If the balance is zero, I'd see it as a minor annoyance; otherwise, it could be complicating your accounting (and a negative balance could be an even bigger problem).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'd point out that an MLS message is also a good way to go with an obscure point like this. If you are specific enough with your questions and provide good data most LUS will pass it back to the group that can answer the question.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Not to belabor the point - but I think it would have been nice (and still be nice) if a message of some sort was sent out explaining these two new categories found under AMFA. (Apparently our stake isn't the only unit that has had these show up). As Bro Brown suggested, I did go back and take a close look at both these categories. They have been 0 balance since January 2012, but I know they were not included in my MLS subcategories at the beginning of the year - I would have noticed and said something way earlier than a month ago. However, as Bro Brown again suggested - at this time it is just better to leave them alone and look at it as a minor inconvienence.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”