Member generated invoice

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dnslynn

Member generated invoice

Post by dnslynn »

Can a member generate an invoice as a request for payment? As in: x widgets at $20 ea ...
Or should the request be based solely on receipts for the materials used to produce the widgets? At the moment, I don't know if the $20.00 includes a charge for time or other overhead. It is comparable, however, to the current cost for widgets in the marketplace.
I have had invoices from licensed businesses owned by members, and I see no problem with that. But, in this case, the member is not normally in the business of selling widgets.
What would the relevant church policy be?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dnslynn wrote:Can a member generate an invoice as a request for payment? As in: x widgets at $20 ea ...
Or should the request be based solely on receipts for the materials used to produce the widgets? At the moment, I don't know if the $20.00 includes a charge for time or other overhead. It is comparable, however, to the current cost for widgets in the marketplace.
I have had invoices from licensed businesses owned by members, and I see no problem with that. But, in this case, the member is not normally in the business of selling widgets.
What would the relevant church policy be?

On Slide 22 of the online lesson "Handling Church Expenses", it says:
When requesting reimbursement, members should submit proper documentation, including an official sales receipt, bill, or invoice of the expense.
My personal opinion is that this wording is talking about reimbursement for the expense. That doesn't include payment for any time or labor costs. Actual overhead costs that can be documented could be reimbursed, but not time/labor. Of course, the final call is the bishop's -- only he can authorize the expense.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gingus

Post by gingus »

I would think that if there is someone that owns a business, they should not be expected to have whatever product they sell, be given to the church at their cost, instead of what someone would typically go in and buy the product.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gingus wrote:I would think that if there is someone that owns a business, they should not be expected to have whatever product they sell, be given to the church at their cost, instead of what someone would typically go in and buy the product.
That possibility was addressed in the original post ("I have had invoices from licensed businesses owned by members, and I see no problem with that") and I also agree that if the invoice comes from an actual business entity, paying the standard rate for the product or service charged by that business is entirely appropriate, regardless of whether the owner is a member of the unit or not. (I emphasize "standard" and would hope that this business was not given to the member's company without considering lesser cost alternative suppliers.)

But the original post specifically asked the question about the situation where the member does not have a business that is providing the product or service. In that case, the member should be reimbursed only for actual expenses he or she incurs.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gingus

Post by gingus »

aebrown wrote:. . .The original post specifically asked the question about the situation where the member does not have a business that is providing the product or service. In that case, the member should be reimbursed only for actual expenses he or she incurs.

I concurr, if they have supplies and build something. They should normally be reimbursed for the supplies.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”