Online Tithing payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
surf40

Online Tithing payment

Post by surf40 »

Does the Bishop get any fedback from SLC when a person in his ward pays tithing online? If so, what does he get, amount? or just that he is paying?

Also, since the Fast Offereing goes to SLC and not the Local Ward when paying online, if everybody payed online, the poor bishop would have zero in his FO budget. But, it all comes out of the same money, so if a ward is short, SLC makes up for it out of the same money. But it will be hard for the bishop to justify it to his SP during his PPIs. Just thinking out loud here, no comment nessasary........

Danny
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

surf40 wrote:Does the Bishop get any fedback from SLC when a person in his ward pays tithing online? If so, what does he get, amount? or just that he is paying?

The bishop gets no information from Church headquarters (unless there's a portion of the donation designated for Ward Missionary, and then he would only know about that part). It's treated just like a donation to another unit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Individuals who donate online receive a monthly statement (might be quarterly now) from SLC, a preliminary Year-to-date at Tithing Settlement time, and an Official Document for Tax purposes in January (It follows the process sent to clerks at Tithing Settlement time). I guess if a Bishop wants to see the amount of tithing someone is paying he could ask to see the donations (This would be a complex situation hopefully). FO is not seen at the Ward Level. I personally have mixed feelings about the scrutiny of 'funding' FO in a ward, I hope Bishop and SP both understand that some pay yearly, some wait for Christmas bonus and pay all at once, etc... since those funds typically reset at year end, ecclesiastical leaders should be reviewing the situation with the bigger picture in mind.

On a yearly basis, at Tithing Settlement time I did analysis for the Bishop of Tithe payers and FO - I typically found that FO was 10% of tithing Tenth of a Tenth.... What I tried to highlight for him was families that judging just by the financial transaction only might consider upping their giving. I find that many families out of habit pay the same in FO when they are empty nesters, as when they were raising families... I highlighted names for the Bishop and he then used the information as the Spirit directed.
gingus

Post by gingus »

Does anyone know the link to where one can pay their tithing online?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gingus wrote:Does anyone know the link to where one can pay their tithing online?
There is currently no option for paying tithing online open to the general Church membership in the US. If there are particular reasons why someone needs to pay tithing that way, you can contact the Donations department to make the request, but it's not available as a convenience at this point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gingus

Post by gingus »

aebrown wrote:There is currently no option for paying tithing online open to the general Church membership in the US. If there are particular reasons why someone needs to pay tithing that way, you can contact the Donations department to make the request, but it's not available as a convenience at this point.

I was just curious, as people have asked about it in the past, and I have just told them it wasn't available. Thanks for the reply.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

When I worked in commercial broadcasting and we talked to the church about airing all of the general conferance sessions on our air, we were told that the reason the the Priesthood session is not available for commercial broadcast is that the Bretheren wanted the priesthood in the church to meet together in groups and enjoy the brotherhood. This is just my opinion but I'm guessing that the same ideas applies to paying tithing. It's very rare that I've ever handed over an envelope without being looked in the eye, recieved a warm handshake and personally thanked. Not sure even the incredible tech wizzards at ldstech can duplicate that.
derekyle

Re: Online Tithing payment

Post by derekyle »

I would say the real reason this isn't offered right now is simply lack of time on the part of staff to make it happen. It is not the Bishop's business how much you pay in tithing, only whether you are a full tithe payer or not. There are many people in the church that choose to mail their tithing directly to HQ in SLC in order to avoid the prying eyes of clerks and bishops like the one mentioned earlier in this thread ... that is, going through your tithing payments to "guess" whether they think you might need to be paying more in fast offering or other things.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

derekyle wrote:There are many people in the church that choose to mail their tithing directly to HQ in SLC in order to avoid the prying eyes of clerks and bishops like the one mentioned earlier in this thread ... that is, going through your tithing payments to "guess" whether they think you might need to be paying more in fast offering or other things.
But these contributions appear in the Ward as Tithing Settlement statements!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:But these contributions appear in the Ward as Tithing Settlement statements!
Not currently, at least in the US/Canada. As I said earlier, only the donations made in the ward will appear on any financial statements printed from ward MLS.

There are indications that a year-end statement including all donations made to any unit may become available at some point in the future, but no communication has said that such a statement will be distributed through the ward; at this point I assume that such a statement would come from the Church (but we simply don't know any such details yet).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”