Deleting budget categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

Deleting budget categories

Post by aclawson »

I have a few budget categories that were used in years past but will never be used again - these are subcategories of the OTHER category. If I delete the category does that break anything for the past years when they were actually used or do I need to wait until the end of the retention period before I can remove the categories?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

See this article in the WIKI Categories
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aclawson wrote:I have a few budget categories that were used in years past but will never be used again - these are subcategories of the OTHER category.
Just for the benefit of others reading this thread there is no Other category in the budget. There is an Other category, but is not used at the unit level for any budget record keeping. If a unit created a budget Other category it would have to be a subcategory of an existing budget category. Units are not able to create budget categories; they can only create subcategories.

What aclawson meant to say was he has a few categories that are subcategories of the Other category (or account).
aclawson wrote:If I delete the category does that break anything for the past years when they were actually used or do I need to wait until the end of the retention period before I can remove the categories?
Unit created subcategories cannot be deleted if any transaction has been recorded in that subcategory until the record retention period has expired. The category can be deactivated as long as the balance is zero. At the end of the record retention period for the last transaction a subcategory flagged as deactivated will be deleted by MLS. See the section Deleting a subcategory of the wiki article Add or update categories (MLS).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”