zeroing out an "Other" sub account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdawardclerk wrote:What is the method of transferring funds between subcategories?

Before doing any transfers you should make sure there are no errors in donations or expenses with regard to categories. If so, you should correct the donation or expense. For example, if a missionary expense was written from the Ward Missionary account, but should have been written from the "Ward Missionary:Elder Joseph Jones" subcategory, just go to that expense (View/Update Expenses) and correct the subcategory.

Category corrections can even be made across major categories, which will generate an MLS message that is sent to CHQ, requesting that the appropriate funds be transferred. When you do this, make sure that you verify that the funds have actually been transferred. CHQ will send you a confirmation message back through the MLS messaging system. However, sometimes they have questions or require additional documentation, so don't just assume that the transfer has happened until you get a confirmation or see it appear on your CUFS.

Once you have done all the research you can, and made appropriate corrections, to transfer funds between subcategories within a major category (such as Other), the simplest way is to create a transfer. To do that in MLS, go to the Finances screen and choose Enter Transfers. Then:
  • Enter a comment that describes why you are transferring the funds.
  • On the Left side, specify the subcategory you are transferring from, and enter the amount
  • On the Right side, specify the subcategory you are transferring to, and enter the same amount
  • The Left and Right sides (Source and Destination) must have the same totals.
  • Click Save

If you need to transfer funds between major categories (for example, from Budget to Other), you have to write a check. Make the check out to your own unit and write it from the proper source subcategory. Then deposit it as part of a normal batch into the appropriate destination subcategory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdawardclerk wrote:I think our prior clerks mistakenly used budget funds to pay for activities.

I hope that "budget" was a typo and you meant to say "Other". With very few exceptions, it is required to use Budget funds to pay for activities, so it's not a mistake to use Budget funds. "Other" account funds are used only when funds have been given to the ward for a specific purpose (Magazine subscriptions, for example) and then are paid out for that same specific purpose. Also, for one annual camp, if budget funds are insufficient to cover the cost, youth may earn part or all of the cost of the camp and equipment, or authorized fund-raising activities may help with the cost of that one camp.

Tracking funds earned by youth or through fund-raising should be tracked through the Other account. But all other ward activities are paid for through budget funds.
cdawardclerk wrote:Also they did not reconcile statements.

You are learning the painful lesson that failure to reconcile statements promptly can lead to a host of ever-increasing problems. You've got a big job ahead of you to bring your accounts into balance, but once you do so, you will find that problems are far less frequent and much easier to fix.
cdawardclerk-p40

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I hope that "budget" was a typo and you meant to say "Other". With very few exceptions, it is required to use Budget funds to pay for activities, so it's not a mistake to use Budget funds. "Other" account funds are used only when funds have been given to the ward for a specific purpose (Magazine subscriptions, for example) and then are paid out for that same specific purpose. Also, for one annual camp, if budget funds are insufficient to cover the cost, youth may earn part or all of the cost of the camp and equipment, or authorized fund-raising activities may help with the cost of that one camp.

Tracking funds earned by youth or through fund-raising should be tracked through the Other account. But all other ward activities are paid for through budget funds.

You are learning the painful lesson that failure to reconcile statements promptly can lead to a host of ever-increasing problems. You've got a big job ahead of you to bring your accounts into balance, but once you do so, you will find that problems are far less frequent and much easier to fix.

No, this was no typo. As best as I can tell this is what happened. I do know and understand what you are saying...this is why I am having trouble with the Other account and why I think your suggestion to transfer funds to zero out the negative subcategories is a good one.

When I started my calling I started with Jan2005 Financial Statement to Reconcile as recommended by CHQ. So I reconciled 2 1/2 years of statements just to catch up. That's why I did not have the time to clear up the Other account...however I was reconciling the Other account using MLS.

Yes it is a painful lesson...but I don't understand why there was no corrective action taken prior to me being called. Talk about inheriting a 'can of worms'!

Thanks for your help. I will get this solved.
cdawardclerk-p40

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:The advice you've received is good, but the very first thing I'd do is to make sure none of the debts from the Other account are from bounced donation checks. If a member's check bounces, the amount of the check is taken out of the other account by Church Headquarters until the ward can properly cancel the donation. Since that has a direct affect on tithing settlement, that's the thing I'd do first. (Note, I don't think this will show up automatically in MLS)

The other thing you need to look at is to reconcile what MLS says is in the Other account with the bank statements. If the past Financial clerk wasn't doing his job, what's in MLS may have no reflection on reality. When all is said and done, MLS is kind of like Quicken - a fancy check register/accounting system. It's there to help you do your job, but the actual bank statement is the true "bottom line".

Yes, I've found 2 returned checks. Thank you.

I've been reconcilling the Financial Statements for about a year and a half. I haven't had the time to fix the Other account until recently as I am now Ward Clerk and training a new finance clerk.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”