Question about Tithing History

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
whiteguy

Question about Tithing History

Post by whiteguy »

How far back does the Church keep records of a member's Tithing?

Ideally, I would hope that up to 5 years back could be accessed, as that would coincide with Federal Tax deduction carryover limits.

Is it possible for a member to get a tithing report that covers multiple years?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

whiteguy wrote:How far back does the Church keep records of a member's Tithing?

Ideally, I would hope that up to 5 years back could be accessed, as that would coincide with Federal Tax deduction carryover limits.

Is it possible for a member to get a tithing report that covers multiple years?

First, a member should ask their current ward for statements. That ward can print reports for three years plus the current year.

Next, if the donor needs records from other wards, or from farther back than three years, they should follow the instructions on the wiki for Statements for former ward members. That includes a form that can be used to request older donation records.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
thutch97

2011 Tithing record from another ward

Post by thutch97 »

I moved into a new ward and asked the ward clerk from my old ward to send me a tithing donation statement for 2011. The ward clerk told me that since he moved my records out of their ward, he could no longer retrieve my donations from 2011. In my new ward, I was called to be the ward membership clerk and went on the MLS to access my 2011 donations statement but cannot do so. In other words, in the MLS, it only allows me to access my 2012 donations statement. Does anyone know how I can get a 2011 statement?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Your old ward clerk was in error. When your records were moved to your new ward, a record was created in your old ward's MLS to hold your finance data. Your old ward can indeed provide a donations statement. He needs to change the date range (of the financial data queried only) from 2012 to 2011.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

thutch97 wrote:I moved into a new ward and asked the ward clerk from my old ward to send me a tithing donation statement for 2011. The ward clerk told me that since he moved my records out of their ward, he could no longer retrieve my donations from 2011.

That ward clerk is making an incorrect assumption. Donation statements can be generated using MLS for any donor who donated in the last three years plus current year (in the US; retention periods differ for other countries). That is true even if a donor is no longer a member of the ward (or never was a member). If he's not familiar with how to do that, refer him to the Donor statements article on the wiki.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If it's the same as my test install: Finances (more), Tithing Settlement, Donor Statements. From the drop-down list you can see the different type of statements (such as for tax records, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thutch97

Post by thutch97 »

Thanks Everyone - - I will relay this to my old ward membership clerk.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”