Paying a tip - ?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bedone

Paying a tip - ?

Post by bedone »

Our stake is chartering a bus for a temple trip. Apparently it is customary to tip the driver. The bus company informed the person who made the arrangements that the tip would need to be provided in cash. I don't know the amount of the tip yet, but after a quick Google search it sounds like it would be enough that we don't want to ask members to pay this out-of-pocket. I think we would probably have to write a check to an individual who would cash it and use that money to tip the driver.

The problem is, how do we prove that the funds were used to tip the driver? I can't imagine giving a tip and then asking for a receipt. Has anyone else run into this before?
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

You will need to request the charter company to add that to the bill/invoice. Speak with a manager or billing representative if necessary. You could cut two checks to the charter company as well, just get a receipt for each one. If they are unwilling to increase your bill then you either don't give any tip or find another charter company. You can't simply cash the check and hand over the money.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

It has been almost 2 yaers about this question. I am wondering how did you do it?
Christjk

Tips for baggers at Military commissaries

Post by Christjk »

rbeede wrote:You will need to request the charter company to add that to the bill/invoice. Speak with a manager or billing representative if necessary. You could cut two checks to the charter company as well, just get a receipt for each one. If they are unwilling to increase your bill then you either don't give any tip or find another charter company. You can't simply cash the check and hand over the money.

As the Assistant Stake Clerk for finance, I recently issued a check to a member who purchased a large amount of food for a scout camp. The member entered an amount for the tip to the bagger (baggers take the groceries to your car and work for tips only) as part of the reimbursement. The only solution I can think of for this situation in the future is to ask the bagger to sign a simple receipt showing the amount. Or, take the groceries to the car yourself (not the right thing to do culturally). Any thoughts on this situation?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Christjk wrote: The only solution I can think of for this situation in the future is to ask the bagger to sign a simple receipt showing the amount. Or, take the groceries to the car yourself (not the right thing to do culturally). Any thoughts on this situation?

Write the amount of the tip on the receipt and ask the bagger to initial it?
Christjk

Post by Christjk »

Wow, what a great and simple solution. Why didn't I think of that? Thank you for the suggestion.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”