Check Writing Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kentjohnson4

Check Writing Question

Post by kentjohnson4 »

Is it possible to take a check, sign it, and then fill it out at the time that it is needed? We're having a ward activity at an ice skating rink and it requires a 25% deposit based on the numbers that are there.

Is there a way to document this in MLS? Or do all checks need to be printed via MLS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kentjohnson4 wrote:Is it possible to take a check, sign it, and then fill it out at the time that it is needed? We're having a ward activity at an ice skating rink and it requires a 25% deposit based on the numbers that are there.

Is there a way to document this in MLS? Or do all checks need to be printed via MLS?
It's physically possible, but definitely against policy. See, for example, question 10 on the audit form:
Do both of the people signing the checks examine all the supporting documentation to make sure it is complete before signing the checks?
If all supporting documentation is not reviewed by both of the people before signing the checks, mark “No.”
Since it's against policy, there's no need to discuss how you might do this in MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Just to add to aebrown's response, it's possible to write checks as "advances" (Ward Audit Question #18 pertains to this) which is probably one way to do this. With that said, I never liked the option and never told anybody it was an option when I was a Ward Clerk so I've never done one. It's typically nicer to find somebody who can put a decent-sized charge on a card or something, though that may depend on who is attending, the area you're in, the willingness of somebody to do that, etc. The advance is the fallback, in my opinion, but a policy-allowed method should nobody else be able to hold the expense in the meantime.
AB
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

kentjohnson4 wrote:Is it possible to take a check, sign it, and then fill it out at the time that it is needed? We're having a ward activity at an ice skating rink and it requires a 25% deposit based on the numbers that are there.
Since you need the deposit to skate, and you won't know the count until the event, why not consider paying a higher percentage of the anticipated total bill. They say 25%, but I'm sure they'd take more than 25% and credit the difference to your final bill.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”