IROP Purchase (Distribution Center) - transfer money between budget categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Gary_Miller wrote:Each organization has their own closet/cabnet where they store their who currulum and supplies. I would hope they know what they have on hand before ordering more.

That would be good if possible, with 3 units in our building, that has not happened here. Most items are kept in the Material Center where each ward has shelves identified for the ward's items.

Gary_Miller wrote:All DC orders go through the clerks office and I order them. That way I know what to expect expense wise.

That is what I would prefer as well, and what we did before the DC went online for unit supplies. Now others (I don't know exactly who has rights but it extends to auxiliary counselors at least) can order and bill to the unit. The Ward clerk may not know until the IROP shows up in MLS. And in these cases, it is entirely possible that the Bishop wouldn't have the opportunity to approve the expense before it is too late to stop a purchase that he otherwise would not authorize (we have had instances where the Bishop told organizations that they could not purchase items that they wanted, even if the cost was within their budget limits).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Each organization has their own closet/cabnet where they store their who currulum and supplies. I would hope they know what they have on hand before ordering more.
That's assuming the items in question are specific to that organization and not something more general. Since the comment was about pamphlets, it seems likely that it was "general". Perhaps Provident Living.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

davesudweeks wrote: That would be good if possible, with 3 units in our building, that has not happened here.
Every church building I have ever been in has storage Closets/cabinets. These are usually assigned to the unit and then assigned to an organization. It just might be a good time to find out who owns what storage Closets/Cabinets and what they are being used for. What you find may surprise you.
davesudweeks wrote:Most items are kept in the Material Center where each ward has shelves identified for the ward's items.
This sounds crazy. How can a ward or organization keep track of their items if anyone can get to them. Who has control over the items?

The materials in the Material center (Library) is there for the use of all wards in the building with the purchasing of the supplies and materials being done under the direction of the agent bishop and cost being shared by all the units in the building. Its not there to store individual wards curriculum items.
davesudweeks wrote: That is what I would prefer as well, and what we did before the DC went online for unit supplies. Now others (I don't know exactly who has rights but it extends to auxiliary counselors at least) can order and bill to the unit. The Ward clerk may not know until the IROP shows up in MLS.
This is an easy fix. All that needs done is for the Bishop to make a policy that all DC purchases as well as office supplies are done through the Clerks office.
davesudweeks wrote:And in these cases, it is entirely possible that the Bishop wouldn't have the opportunity to approve the expense before it is too late to stop a purchase that he otherwise would not authorize (we have had instances where the Bishop told organizations that they could not purchase items that they wanted, even if the cost was within their budget limits).
While I know the Bishop has approval authority. Its my belief that once the bishop approve the Budget authorization for the organization he has given the authority for the organization president to purchase whatever they need to support their mission. The Bishop still has to approve the expense before a check can be cut. However, the bishop has the right to do this how ever he wants, and hopefully he is consistent with the procedure.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Since the comment was about pamphlets, it seems likely that it was "general". Perhaps Provident Living.
We have a closet in the bishops office where these type pamphlets are stored. Short of that there items could be stored in the clerks office ether in a file cabinet or in one of the cabinets above the clerks desk.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Gary_Miller wrote:Short of that there items could be stored in the clerks office ether in a file cabinet or in one of the cabinets above the clerks desk.

The clerk's office is (in my opinion) NOT the place to store any non clerk related materials. In my ward the organizations never looked to see what was there and a lot of it was left overs from year past so it just accumulated dust and got in my way.

I am fairly territorial over the office space the Lord has allotted for my use in accounting for his kingdom in my ward. This, on occasion, even includes telling bishop's counselors they can't use the office for an interview. :-)

I would probably relent if the ward building was short of available storage space for the organizations.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

@nbflint, I agree I'm also very territorial over the clerks office space. Having just been called last month the new ward clerk and myself (we were called the same day) have spent the month organizing files and trashing unneeded supplies.

I don't know when they stopped sending the 3.5 diskettes to HQ but there was still a box of diskettes, labels and mailers in the office. I also brought around 20 backup diskettes home yesterday and throw them in wood stove, i did notice the date on many of them was 2000.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

nbflint wrote: I am fairly territorial over the office space the Lord has allotted for my use in accounting for his kingdom in my ward. This, on occasion, even includes telling bishop's counselors they can't use the office for an interview. :-)

I would probably relent if the ward building was short of available storage space for the organizations.
Ah yes, the clerk's office. Despite there being vacant classrooms, quiet spaces, and nooks everywhere, somehow the clerk's office is the one that's always being used for interviews.:rolleyes:

Return to “Local Unit Finance”