Ward missionary category creation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:But regardless of how this may have been done, the financial responsibility can be transferred to any ward whose bishop is willing to accept it. That transfer of financial responsibility can happen even before membership records may be transferred. The subaccount will then be created in the new responsible ward shortly after the transfer of responsibility happens.
funaddict wrote:What is the requirement for accepting financial responsibility before membership records are transferred? How do you know that the family will actually move into your ward? I can think of several examples off the top of my head where a family was all set to move and cancelled at the last second, or found a house in another ward or actually moved to a new ward just to turn around and move back immediately.
aebrown's comment about transferring responsibility before membership records are transferred was made in the context of a missionary who is currently attending a YSA ward/branch. The responsibility can be transferred to the home ward before the missionary's membership record has been transferred back to the home ward. The family in this case would already have their membership records in the home ward.

In the case of where the family is moving, I'd wait to transfer responsibility until the family has actually moved. CHQ will back-date the effective date if requested by both bishops (for example, if the family starts donating in the new ward before they finish moving in). Technically it could be done before the family moved but for the reasons you mentioned it's generally not a good idea.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

funaddict wrote:I still am curious about situations where the financially responsible ward is different from the missionary's home ward.

I see the situation that has prompted your query seems to have be answered. As to that specific question, the only thing I can think of is if someone in your ward had promised to support that particular missionary.

I do know of cases where the missionary in question was a convert and was not being supported by their parents. In that case, the singles ward they were in, along with the stake took care of the mission costs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I just spoke with SLC and was told that this account will not be appearing in our MLS until after she has departed and they attempt to draw the first payment. I have been told that this is normal behavior and nothing can be done about it and the account is showing up in the YSA ward because of a "bug" in MLS.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”