Editing subcategories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rbdalton

Editing subcategories

Post by rbdalton »

I'm trying to clean up some subcategories under Primary, Young Men, etc. that we will no longer be using. When I tried to delete them, I get a message: "Unit Subcategories cannot be deleted or inactivated if they have references to an expense, transfer, donation or assigned budget." Is there anything I can do to delete them or am I stuck with these subcategories?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rbdalton wrote:I'm trying to clean up some subcategories under Primary, Young Men, etc. that we will no longer be using. When I tried to delete them, I get a message: "Unit Subcategories cannot be deleted or inactivated if they have references to an expense, transfer, donation or assigned budget." Is there anything I can do to delete them or am I stuck with these subcategories?
You can't delete them, but you can deactivate them, which is almost as good. When you have selected the desired subcategory, instead of clicking the Delete button, uncheck the "Active" box over on the right side of the screen.

Deactivated categories won't appear on most reports, and not on any selection lists. When the last of the related transactions have finally left MLS (that should be as 2016 rolls around, if you are in the US), the deactivated categories will automatically be deleted.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”