Received unusual donation slips with tithing envelopes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Well, I've left the address line blank for 50 years. I suppose I could leave the membership record line blank for another 50 years, as long as there is no one in my unit with the same name. [grin]

That's probably fine as long as you donate to your home ward. But if you donate to other wards, and want to get a report/tax receipt from the church, then you better fill it in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:That's probably fine as long as you donate to your home ward. But if you donate to other wards, and want to get a report/tax receipt from the church, then you better fill it in.

Why? Does this new slip supplant the duty of each ward to mail out end-of-year tax statements to out-of-ward donors? Will CHQ now take over that responsibility?

Also, I haven't checked the new version of MLS. Is there now a place to record a non-ward-member's MRN on the donor record?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RossEvans wrote:Why? Does this new slip supplant the duty of each ward to mail out end-of-year tax statements to out-of-ward donors? Will CHQ now take over that responsibility?
Does your ward do that for someone who shows up just for one Sunday? I don't think any of my wards have done that.
RossEvans wrote:Also, I haven't checked the new version of MLS. Is there now a place to record a non-ward-member's MRN on the donor record?

Neither have I. But this would seem to be the logical first step if records of donations are to get centralized. I think we have seen hints that that is coming. Changing the form used by the ward probably has the longest lead time of any of the steps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:
RossEvans wrote:Why? Does this new slip supplant the duty of each ward to mail out end-of-year tax statements to out-of-ward donors? Will CHQ now take over that responsibility?
Does your ward do that for someone who shows up just for one Sunday? I don't think any of my wards have done that.
Absolutely. That is supposed to be routine procedure for finance clerks. If anyone -- including visitors and nonmembers -- makes even a one-time tax-deductible donation, and puts their address on their donation slip, they get an end-of-year tax statement mailed.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Come to think of it, as I look at the image of the new slip format, I can't see how we could ever mail a statement to a donor who does not have a MRN, because there is no place for them to write their address. There are such donors occasionally.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:But if you donate to other wards, and want to get a report/tax receipt from the church, then you better fill it in.

I suppose I could put it in that big blank space at the bottom of the new slip.
brodine

Post by brodine »

The whole "new slip" thing is a real mystery to me, since, about 4 months ago CHQ sent a unit in our Stake these "new slips" and they were baffled by them, so they called me (Stake Financial Clerk). I called LUS and they told me it was a mistake and they immediately sent that unit a box of the slips we are all used to.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

LynnArave wrote:What I think will happen somewhere done the road is that some general authority or church accountant will eventually ask why overall donations are down in the Book of Mormon, Perpetual Education and Temple Construction categories (those missing on the new forms). When they realize not listing them was not a wise idea, they may return.

Alternatively, the drop in contributions to those funds may have been considered in lieu of the increases the General Missionary, Ward Missionary, and Humanitarian Aid categories are likely to see. If you want to see the listed categories as a prioritization (which I have no indication it is), it would make sense to me.

jdtommy

Post by jdtommy »

Has anyone received any official word about these slips? I was going to call HQ but was not able to this week. Was wondering about any word to as why and what direction they are taking on this. It just seems that they will lose donations to those categories missing unless they wont separate those categories from tithing / FO any more? They normally send out tons of info when they do things like this, but I haven't received anything.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdtommy wrote:They normally send out tons of info when they do things like this, but I haven't received anything.

Or at least a letter. Yes, another one of those mysteries of the kingdom.

Several calls have already been made, and several answers have been received. I think someone even said there were instructions in the bottom of the box.

I am not sure another answer would be helpful. We may already have the answer. You may wish to go back and read post number 18 in this thread as a starting point.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”