Received unusual donation slips with tithing envelopes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Lynnarave

Post by Lynnarave »

My stake clerk over finance got intrigued by the new donation slips.
He called someone in church financial and they told him these are the correct forms and are definitely NOT the wrong ones received. They said we've got to live with these forms for now, as the powers that be decided on them.
What I think will happen somewhere done the road is that some general authority or church accountant will eventually ask why overall donations are down in the Book of Mormon, Perpetual Education and Temple Construction categories (those missing on the new forms). When they realize not listing them was not a wise idea, they may return.
Otherwise, fortunately there is space on the bottom of the forms for now to list if someone paid by cash, check or coin. (Although I believe more member donations than before may not actually balance with their slip because members are the ones who are supposed to list their contribution configuration.)
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

I was wondering if there would be a big problem in returning the slips for new ones that had the area for the members to enter their check, coin, or cash information. I just worry that we will wind up with more reconciliation problems each Sunday without the member entered information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ChuckP wrote:I was wondering if there would be a big problem in returning the slips for new ones that had the area for the members to enter their check, coin, or cash information.

We were asked to use up the slips and told that, when we reordered, the blocks would be there for the form of contribution.
dbollard99

Same thing

Post by dbollard99 »

Same thing happened in my ward. We received our new slips about 2 weeks ago. (Las Vegas, NV, Warm Springs Stake)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dbollard99 wrote:Same thing happened in my ward. We received our new slips about 2 weeks ago. (Las Vegas, NV, Warm Springs Stake)

Yes. Those are the new forms everyone is receiving. Hopefully there will be an official message soon telling us to use them. In the meantime, we plan to unofficially use them until they are gone, and then order some more. [grin]
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I'd love to see what these new forms look like. The descriptions so far are fairly detailed,
but as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Any chance someone who has
these new forms could upload a scanned image for use to look at ?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

atticusewig wrote:but as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".
I heard they are already being revised. [grin]
darthwader

Picture showing old and new form

Post by darthwader »

atticusewig wrote:I'd love to see what these new forms look like. The descriptions so far are fairly detailed,
but as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Any chance someone who has
these new forms could upload a scanned image for use to look at ?

I have attached a PDF showing the difference...
Old_vs_New_TithingSlips.pdf
(191.86 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
I'm thinking that these forms would not be for "worldwide use" as they have a dollar ($) symbol... This would not be very "global." :confused:

Some communication from headquarters would be very beneficial... As a member of the Stake Presidency, we have baffled bishoprics asking us for information!
jgamber

Post by jgamber »

If you pull all of them out of the box there should be a document contained that explains the change. The doc is very clear that these are go forward and explains that the MLS screen will remain the same. It looks to me like the church is really moving towards a desire that members know their record numbers as the address field has been replaced by a record number field.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jgamber wrote:It looks to me like the church is really moving towards a desire that members know their record numbers as the address field has been replaced by a record number field.

Well, I've left the address line blank for 50 years. I suppose I could leave the membership record line blank for another 50 years, as long as there is no one in my unit with the same name. [grin]

Return to “Local Unit Finance”