Member Donation Name as Corporation?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dangasser

Member Donation Name as Corporation?

Post by dangasser »

Hi, a member asked that their tithing contribution be entered under the donors business name for taxes. So for example, if the donors name is John Doe, he would like his tax receipt to be issued to Dr. John Doe Inc.

How is this to be done? My initial thought was change the members name in the records, (change the name in the batch if necessary) and then print. After issuing change his name back to John Doe. Would this be correct? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member Donation Name as Corporation?

Post by russellhltn »

I would not change the name. If it were up to me, I'd create a non-member donor record in MLS. That way, the name is what he wants it.

But, I'd also call Local Unit Support for guidance as there may be some legal ramifications from this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dangasser

Post by dangasser »

Yeah, I was unsure of the legal ramifications as well. My gut tells me he would have had to donate under his company name in the first place in order to have a receipt issued under that name. But I will call Local Unit Support.

Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, I don't think a business should be tied to a donor record with a membership record number. If he wants to donate as a business, it would be recorded as a donation by not a member of the unit; and his personal donations, tied to his membership record, come tithing settlement, would be 0. He can't have both.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

Corporations don't pay tithing. Individuals pay tithing.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bballrob wrote:Corporations don't pay tithing. Individuals pay tithing.
Some corporations do give 10% of their earnings to the Church. But that is a donation by the corporation, in the name of the business, not that of an individual.

A member would donate to the tithing funds of the Church is his or her own name.
russos

Post by russos »

russellhltn wrote:I would not change the name. If it were up to me, I'd create a non-member donor record in MLS. That way, the name is what he wants it.

But, I'd also call Local Unit Support for guidance as there may be some legal ramifications from this.

Given that the church is planning to discontinue bpay and transition entirely to online donations, how could a corporation pay tithing now? A member asked this question of us on Sunday when we were giving the 5th Sunday presentation introducing online donations. Of course my thoughts are congruent with others I've found on this form 'individuals pay tithing not businesses' however it seems that this member has done so in the past under a business name. How would this work now as an LDS account & membership number is required to donate online?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russos wrote:Given that the church is planning to discontinue bpay
What is your source for that statement? I haven't heard that bpay is going to be discontinued. As far as I've heard it is still supported.
russos wrote:how could a corporation pay tithing now?
I don't think there is any change. But I don't think they can pay online. When online donations started you could donate with a non-member LDS account but I don't think that's still true.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If it gets too hard to pay through Online Donations, you can always contact LDS Philanthropies and pay through them. I am sure they will take electronic donations and I believe the donations can be credited to tithing if desired.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”