Multiple missionary funding through one donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
heidialdercox

Multiple missionary funding through one donation

Post by heidialdercox »

I recently donated a piece of property to the church and designated that a portion of its worth go to specific missionaries (12 missionaries in 4 stakes). I was told multiple times that the mission accounts would fund when the property changed ownership to the church. A long process, I might add. Anyway, it has changed hands and the church now owns it, but no personal mission funds have seen their specific amounts in their balances yet. The ward clerks keep looking, but nothing yet. Has anyone had this problem before? I have worked with the church real estate office for this and they said that it should have funded already and that they would contact the financial department. Does anyone have a number that I could call to speak with someone in Financial? I have the account numbers of the file, etc. I just want to get these missions paid for!
gregwanderson

Re: Multiple missionary funding through one donation

Post by gregwanderson »

The situation you describe is far more complicated than many of us have any experience handling. Most of us are ward or stake clerks/assistant clerks who never handle any "donations in kind." Like your local ward clerk, we have the phone number of the help desk at church headquarters for basic membership and financial issues that a ward or stake clerk will encounter. It seems your dealings are only with a real estate arm of the church. I would guess it's best to continue with them before trying to contact other departments which may not yet know what the real estate folks are doing.

As ward and stake leaders, we usually encourage members to sell their things and donate the money rather than make a donation in kind. But we know that some members do make donations in kind and, when they do, we know almost nothing about how that works. That's probably why we're slow in responding to your post here. It would seem to me that the church could not convert your donation in kind into missionary funds until they sell the property, but I obviously don't know what they said they can do.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”