Proper Process for Changing Funding Unit of Missionary

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nathangg

Proper Process for Changing Funding Unit of Missionary

Post by nathangg »

Hi,

I've read this great topic on when a missionary's funding unit changes mid mission: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15578 .

However, I'm not sure of the proper process that a clerk and/or bishop should follow.

Here are my questions:
  1. What is the right way to change the funding unit mid-mission?
  2. What is the right way to change the funding unit during the application process?
What I've noticed:
I thought the right way was to have the Bishops go to the "Missionary Online Recommendation System" and they can change the funding unit per the instructions in the FAQ: Q: Can I transfer the recommendation to another ward/branch? . However doing that mid-mission doesn't seem to have worked 100% since we still have missionary sub-accounts with negative balances for various wards in our stake. Can bishops set the effective date when changing the funding unit this way? (The FAQ doesn't mention effective date).

To add even more confusion, we just had a missionary's records transferred in to our stake from a neighboring stake (not a super big deal... this has happened before). I noticed that the missionary's membership unit (in the Missionary Online Recommendation System) is a unit in our stake (let's call it the "City" ward), and I can see that missionary in lds.org/leader as a member of our stake in the "City" ward. But the funding unit still shows the proper ward (let's call it the "Pine" ward. (No worries here).

However, we now have a sub-account in the "City" ward with this missionary's name AND there is a positive balance. All of this happened within the past 13 days... so it seems weird that the funding unit online says "Pine" and the Membership Unit online says "City" but we magically have a missionary sub-account in the "City" ward MLS with money in it for this missionary. I have not asked the bishop of the "City" ward if he approved the transfer of financial responsibility as indicated here.

Thank you~!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Proper Process for Changing Funding Unit of Missionary

Post by lajackson »

nathangg wrote:
  1. What is the right way to change the funding unit mid-mission?
  2. What is the right way to change the funding unit during the application process?
In reverse order:

2. During the application process, the funding unit can be changed as necessary at the online missionary application site. Once the stake president submits the application, changes are not longer made this way.

1. After the application is submitted, including later during the mission, the bishop accepting responsibility for funding the mission (or his clerk with authorization) calls the Missionary Department and specifies the month the change will be (or was) effective.

The funding of a missionary is not affected by the moving of a membership record. If funding responsibility also needs to change, the phone call from the new ward or branch needs to be made.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”