List of ordained bishops

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

lajackson wrote:A manual workaround for those who are interested. In our stake, the stake presidency makes it a point to interview every high priest who moves into the stake. Bishops are under penalty of extended service if they do not let the presidency know of a new arrival. This may not work in a stake with large turnover, but it works here even with several a month.
The real key here is to tell the Stake President about the new arrival after the Bishop has had a chance to issue a calling, lest the stake swoop down and hijack all that newly-discovered leadership. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

allenjpl wrote:The real key here is to tell the Stake President about the new arrival after the Bishop has had a chance to issue a calling, lest the stake swoop down and hijack all that newly-discovered leadership. :)

That's never stopped them here! [grin]
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:A manual workaround for those who are interested. .....

I apologize specifically to lajackson, because this comment doesn't reflect on him specifically, however, I grow weary of hearing about manual work-arounds when it comes to clerking.... and other leadership aspects. When I hear manual work-around I translate that to ..... 100,000 wards and stakes do something manually (or differently), take time away from their families to do something [track the selection, approvals, calling, sustaining, setting-apart, and recording of a calling for one example] and spend a great deal of effort doing things that a quick month-long project from the central office could easily save thousands and thousands of volunteer hours... I feel, at times, that our volunteer hours are built into their equations, and that our volunteer hours are built into church project plans relieving them of having to 'complete' many of the projects they undertake.

In this particular aspect, it would be great if our SP were to interview each HP as they move into the Stake, However, logistics of that are very difficult for us. A list is easy and accessible.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

JohnShaw wrote:In this particular aspect, it would be great if our SP were to interview each HP as they move into the Stake, However, logistics of that are very difficult for us. A list is easy and accessible.
In this case, that list might not be as easy as expected, and might prove doctrinally problematic. When someone is ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood, that ordination replaces the earlier ordination to the Aaronic priesthood. The old ordination date is completely wiped out (as far as I know). His record only identifies the highest office he holds. Bishop is an office in the lesser priesthood, so his ordination as a high priest takes precedence (and is required in probably 100% of cases, as we can't identify the literal descendents of Aaron). And, since bishop is an office in the Aaronic Priesthood, there's nowhere for it to go on the member's record, and thus nowhere to pull it from in MLS. To include it, you'd have to add a line on the membership record for the office in the Aaronic Priesthood, which conflicts with the fact that he isn't really a member of that priesthood anymore, although he can officiate as a bishop by virtue of his ordination as a high priest. So, if that's the reason why MLS is set up the way it is, blame D&C 107. The CDOL, by contrast, is just a directory of leaders and units. If the CDOL was set up to accept historical queries, I think that would be the place you would go to get the information, not through the ward or stake MLS. And, as it so happens, CDOL seems to be working on maintaining a historical database.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:I grow weary of hearing about manual work-arounds when it comes to clerking.... and other leadership aspects.

Part of the reason we suggest such things is that we have no idea how long it will take and where it is on CHQ's priority list. By the time that feature is developed, there's a fair chance you'll be on to a new calling. Manual processes is something you can do now. Waiting for a automated process isn't productive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

allenjpl wrote: The CDOL, by contrast, is just a directory of leaders and units. If the CDOL was set up to accept historical queries, I think that would be the place you would go to get the information, not through the ward or stake MLS. And, as it so happens, CDOL seems to be working on maintaining a historical database.
Actually CDOL has some historical positions. Bishop is one of those. You just have to have the rights to see/search them.

Presentnig a list of ordained bishops in a ward is something that could be done within CDOL. I would just need it to be prioritized. If this is desired I would recommend submitting feedback within CDOL and listing the benefits of this feature.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

JonesRK wrote:Actually CDOL has some historical positions. Bishop is one of those. You just have to have the rights to see/search them.
I can see a historical information tab in my own ward, which identifies the only former bishop we've had (we're a relatively new ward), so I wasn't sure if it went beyond that or not. I can't see any historical information for my stake, because my stake has no historical information (it's even newer than my ward), so I can't tell if I even have access to it. Still, once a stake clerk had worked through the entire High Priests Quorum in the stake, it would only take a few minutes each month to identify whether move-ins were also in *the system*. But the initial undertaking would be massive, unless there was some way to speed up the process. Like, for instance, creating a stake-wide "High Priest Quorum" membership report in Leadership & Clerk Resources, and then providing access to a "Search CDOL" function directly from a name or list of names.

Return to “Reports and Forms”