Custom Reports cannot access 2011 dates

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
tmellor
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 am
Location: USA

Custom Reports cannot access 2011 dates

Postby tmellor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:06 am

I have a custom birthday report, so that I can print address labels, but the report won't allow me to show birthdays in 2011. Can we get this updated?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:53 pm

A birthday is based on a day and a month only and does not include the year. To create a list of all birthdays for 2011 the criteria would include the attribute Birthday, the compare operation "is or is after", and the value "01 Jan". Note there is no year.

The problem occurs when you think you must include the year when using the calendar icon for entering the day and month. The calendar icon is a tool to enter the day and month using the mouse rather than typing the day and month in the appropriate data boxes. The problem with the calendar icon is that it includes the year in selecting the day and month. Just ignor the year. You can use any year since only the day and month are used from the mouse selection of date to fill the data boxes, day and month.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 pm

tmellor wrote:I have a custom birthday report, so that I can print address labels, but the report won't allow me to show birthdays in 2011. Can we get this updated?


jdlessley wrote:A birthday is based on a day and a month only and does not include the year. To create a list of all birthdays for 2011 the criteria would include the attribute Birthday, the compare operation "is or is after", and the value "01 Jan". Note there is no year.


If you really want the Birth Date, then choose that field (rather than "Birthday"). The "Birth Date" does include a year. But for a custom birthday report, you probably do simply want the "Birthday", as jdlessley accurately described.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

tmellor
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 am
Location: USA

Postby tmellor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Alan_Brown: I do want the Birthday rather than the Birth Date, but it's good to know I can use both. (even though Age seems to be easier for most situations).

jdlessley: When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011, no results are returned. I presume that if I change it to Jan 1, 2010 it will work and give me the correct results. So for some reason picking Jan 1, 2011 and picking Jan 1, 2010 seem to resolve to something different even though they both just show Jan 1 after dropping the year. I'll use the workaround, but it may be worth double checking there isn't a bug in the calendar control. Let me know if you can't duplicate this behavior.

Tim

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:39 pm

tmellor wrote:When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011...
This doesn't sound right. In the calendar control (Select Date control) you should not be able select a year beyond the current year. I do not know how you are able to select Jan 1, 2011. You may want to check your system date to see if it is correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

tmellor wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Alan_Brown: I do want the Birthday rather than the Birth Date, but it's good to know I can use both. (even though Age seems to be easier for most situations).

jdlessley: When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011, no results are returned. I presume that if I change it to Jan 1, 2010 it will work and give me the correct results. So for some reason picking Jan 1, 2011 and picking Jan 1, 2010 seem to resolve to something different even though they both just show Jan 1 after dropping the year. I'll use the workaround, but it may be worth double checking there isn't a bug in the calendar control. Let me know if you can't duplicate this behavior.

Tim

If I use Birthday then I can't change the year to the future in the control - which makes sense since the year doesn't apply for the comparison.
If I use Birth Date then I can change the year. If I change the year to Jan 1, 2011 then I wouldn't expect to get any results, because that would be asking for people that were born next year.:)
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk


Return to “Reports and Forms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest