YW/YSAs on the Quarterly Report

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:So, let me see if I have this straight.
  1. A single non-MPH male age 18 assigned to YM -> YM on the quarterly report
  2. A single non-MPH male age 18 assigned to Elders -> YM
  3. A single non-MPH male age 19 assigned to YM -> YM
  4. A single non-MPH male age 19 assigned to Elders -> YSA / Pros. Elder
  5. A single female age 18 assigned to YW -> YSA / RS
  6. A single female age 18 assigned to RS -> YSA / RS
  7. A married female age 17 assigned to RS -> RS
  8. A single female with child age 17 assigned to RS -> YW

Please correct my understanding. I suspect that I'm wrong in some areas, as I'm making several assumptions.
I think you're making this more complicated than is needed (which leads to some of the above being incorrect). As far as the quarterly report is concerned, I think it's much easier to simply say:
  • Members of the YM, YW, Elders, and RS organizations are counted in the organization they are assigned to.
  • YSA are simply unmarried 18-30
  • Prospective elders are non-MPH males 18+ not in YM
With those rules, it follows that your 2nd, 5th, and 8th statements are incorrect.

Now there are various other rules that control how people are automatically moved from one organization to another, but they can be overridden by manually moving people to organizations.
SmithGW

YW/YSAs on the Quarterly Report

Post by SmithGW »

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajackson Image
Young Men/Women are not involved with Young Single Adults. They belong either with the youth (YM/YW) or with the adults (RS/EQ and YSA). And once they make the transition, they should not go back.

Young Single Adults do belong to either the Relief Society or the elders quorum.
Eighteen-year-old males and females who are still participating in Young Men or Young Women should also appear on the Young Single Adults list. Though still paricipating in Young Men or Young Women, they can also particiapte in Young Single Adult activities if approved to do so by local priesthood leaders. This follows Church policy and no steps should be taken to remove these 18-year-olds from either list and they will continue to be included in two Quarterly Report categories.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

smithgw wrote:Quote:

Eighteen-year-old males and females who are still participating in Young Men or Young Women should also appear on the Young Single Adults list. Though still paricipating in Young Men or Young Women, they can also particiapte in Young Single Adult activities if approved to do so by local priesthood leaders. This follows Church policy and no steps should be taken to remove these 18-year-olds from either list and they will continue to be included in two Quarterly Report categories.
So, from an administrative reporting purpose, a Priest or Laurel actively participating in YM or YW, usually still in high school, who is also 18, would also be counted as an active Young Single Adult because, by the Handbook definition, a YSA is anyone who is age 18 and single in the Church.

He or she would not have to be attending YSA activities. And the Relief Society and elders quorum presidents would not be responsible for them until they made the transition from YM/YW to RS or EQ.

They count on the quarterly report as YSA simply because they are 18, no matter which organization YM/YW/RS or EQ they are actively attending.

Conversely, a 17-year-old who has moved to RS or EQ would count in the RS or EQ statistics, but would not be included in the YSA statistics until he or she turned 18.

Administratively, I can understand that.
iamrkh

Post by iamrkh »

smithgw wrote:Quote:

For purposes of calculating line 13 on the quarterly report, do you recommend that I should, or should not, count the 18-year-olds in my ward who (1) appear on the YSA list (line 12) but who (2) attend YW rather than RS? In preparing the report (I have not yet submitted it), I opted to count them in calculating line 13.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

iamrkh wrote:For purposes of calculating line 13 on the quarterly report, do you recommend that I should, or should not, count the 18-year-olds in my ward who (1) appear on the YSA list (line 12) but who (2) attend YW rather than RS? In preparing the report (I have not yet submitted it), I opted to count them in calculating line 13.
It seems clear that the definition of a YSA is very simple: an unmarried member age 18-30. That's what the Quarterly Report help says, and what Smithgw clarified.

So the only slight ambiguity is we are asked to enter the number of YSA who attend Priesthood and RS. In my opinion, the clear intent of this is to evaluate the number of YSA who attend their designated Sunday meetings. If there is an 18-year-old female who is still in the Young Women organization, she is clearly in the total number of YSA, so if she attends her Sunday YW meeting, she would be counted on line 13. I think you're doing it correctly.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:It seems clear that the definition of a YSA is very simple: an unmarried member age 18-30. That's what the Quarterly Report help says, and what Smithgw clarified.

Do you happen to know if that same simple definition applies to the logic of the YSA-oriented reports in the Bishop's Action and Intereview List? I recall having a hard time reconciling such simple rules with the output of those reports for our ward. I'm not at the MLS computer at the moment, so I can't cite an example.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:Do you happen to know if that same simple definition applies to the logic of the YSA-oriented reports in the Bishop's Action and Intereview List? I recall having a hard time reconciling such simple rules with the output of those reports for our ward. I'm not at the MLS computer at the moment, so I can't cite an example.
From my quick review with the test data, it appears that even a 19-year-old male who doesn't have the MP but is assigned to an MP quorum appears on the youth interview list, and not on the YSA interview list. That does seem strange.

I'd have to play with it more to give an accurate analysis, but it does appear that you're right that the simple "unmarried 18-30" definition doesn't apply for the interview list.
jpapke-p40

What about YSA Wards??

Post by jpapke-p40 »

So I finally got all the MPR's in for the wards in my stake and noticed the new lines for YSA reporting. I think this is great but then I noticed that for our YSA ward (in which ALL members except the bishopric) are Young Single Adults. So I expected to see the YSA numbers to be equal to at least almost equal to the Total Members number. No luck. Using fictitious numbers to illustrate, we have 200 members in the YSA ward with 150 attending but the Q4 MPR shows 75 YSA members with 60 attending. Any clue to what is going on here?

Confused in Idaho

Jeff Papke
Stake Clerk Meridian Idaho North
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's a big difference in numbers.

A few thoughts:

Make sure that everyone is at least 18. You could have some 17 year-olds that have graduated high school and are now in a stage of life that one normally associates with YSA.

Second, make sure you actually have the records and they are members and aren't "out of unit" members, or "temporary records" or some such.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

If this branch serves a college or university campus area, might some of the difference result from students moving in during the school year and back home during the summer? In such a situation, measuring at two points in time could produce significantly different numbers.

Return to “Reports and Forms”