performing marriage

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
brofisher

performing marriage

Post by brofisher »

I am a stake clerk and have been asked for help by a bishop.
He has been asked to perform a civil marriage outside of his ward boundaries and has asked for help in the preparation work. i know that there needs to be permission from Salt lake and a certificate but i am not so sure how to request approval.
Any help would be appreciated.
davesudweeks

Re: performing marriage

Post by davesudweeks »

Handbook 1: 3.5.3 provides the information. Your Stake President should be able to advise on what paperwork may be needed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brofisher wrote:i know that there needs to be permission from Salt lake
Be sure to read the Handbook reference, where you will find that permission is not needed simply because the ceremony is being performed outside of the ward boundaries. It is about ward membership, not ward boundaries. The Handbook explains it well, of course.
brofisher

Post by brofisher »

Thank you for these responses.
Yes we have looked at the handbook and determined that the two getting married are not members of his ward or the stake. We have determined that First Presidency approval is needed. The Stake President is unaware of where to request this permission from the First Presidency. I as a stake clerk cannot find anything on LCR. I am assuming he would have something in LCR but where do i steer him?

Thanks all for your help
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brofisher wrote:Thank you for these responses.
Yes we have looked at the handbook and determined that the two getting married are not members of his ward or the stake. We have determined that First Presidency approval is needed.
A letter to the Office of the First Presidency
The address and phone number are in CDOL.

Is there another bishop of one of the two getting married that could help more quickly? Their bishop(s) probably will need to be notified, even if First Presidency approval is granted, and could perform the ceremony without additional approval.
brofisher

Post by brofisher »

Thanks for the fed back.

Return to “Reports and Forms”