"Officers Sustained" form for Wards/Branches

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

"Officers Sustained" form for Wards/Branches

Post by jdlessley »

While I know this may be insignificant, it does need to be brought to the attention of those who prepare the instructions posted on lds.org. The issue is the "Officers Sustained" form number in the English pdf file version of the "Ward, Branch, Stake & District Instructions" found at the "Instructions for Preparing the Annual History" page of lds.org does not agree with the form number available in MLS. The form number in the instructions for Wards and Branches is given as 32302 while the MLS form number is 37131. Since the MLS form has a date of 4/08 it appears to be the more correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:While I know this may be insignificant, it does need to be brought to the attention of those who prepare the instructions posted on lds.org. The issue is the "Officers Sustained" form number in the English pdf file version of the "Ward, Branch, Stake & District Instructions" found at the "Instructions for Preparing the Annual History" page of lds.org does not agree with the form number available in MLS. The form number in the instructions for Wards and Branches is given as 32302 while the MLS form number is 37131. Since the MLS form has a date of 4/08 it appears to be the more correct.

Those annual history instructions are from 3/01. In the meantime, there have been several changes to the Officers Sustained forms -- they have to change whenever there is any change to the First Presidency or Quorum of the Twelve. Since the Annual History instructions are relatively static, it is inevitable that the Officers Sustained forms will change multiple times between revisions of the Annual History. So any included form numbers are bound to be out of date.

In any case, there is a Feedback link on the Instructions for Preparing the Annual History page (it just sends mail to the standard MSRMail address), and it would probably be good for you to let them know, since I would guess that those in charge of maintaining the Annual History Instructions don't tend to monitor this forum.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

While we're posting updates, we've just gone through ward conference and I've noticed that Elder Wirthlin is still listed on the sustainings as one of the 12. I haven't checked to see if MLS 2.9.3 takes care of that, as we haven't updated yet.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:While we're posting updates, we've just gone through ward conference and I've noticed that Elder Wirthlin is still listed on the sustainings as one of the 12. I haven't checked to see if MLS 2.9.3 takes care of that, as we haven't updated yet.
MLS 2.9.3 (as of build 15035) still includes the older form (Form 37131, dated 4/08) so Elder Wirthlin is still listed. We instruct our ward clerks to simply cross out his name after they print the form.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:I've noticed that Elder Wirthlin is still listed on the sustainings as one of the 12.
In the past, it seems to me that the form has been updated after the next general conference and a new member of the Quorum of the Twelve has been sustained. They know they will have to update the form again if they do it now and, as Alan said, the temporary fix is very easy.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

I believe the counsel is that in Ward/Stake conferences, a recently deceased apostle should still be sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve until a new Apostle is sustained, most likely in the next General Conference. The Stake President should make the decision as to whether or not a name should be read.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

njcant1 wrote:I believe the counsel is that in Ward/Stake conferences, a recently deceased apostle should still be sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve until a new Apostle is sustained, most likely in the next General Conference. The Stake President should make the decision as to whether or not a name should be read.
Interesting. I've never heard that, and it sounds quite counter-intuitive to me. Do you have a source for this?
showseason-p40

New Question

Post by showseason-p40 »

Our Bishop said that last year for ward conference we were told to not use initials in names on sustaining list? He is not sure exactly. Our Ward Conference is this next Sunday so I need to let ward clerk know. Any help appreciated.

Al
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

showseason wrote:Our Bishop said that last year for ward conference we were told to not use initials in names on sustaining list? He is not sure exactly. Our Ward Conference is this next Sunday so I need to let ward clerk know. Any help appreciated.

Al

Not sure if it is Church policy or not, as I have never read it anywhere to not use initials. In fact if you look at the left side of the first page on a sustaining list you will see the First Presidency and the Apostles all use initials rather than their full given name. In our stake the Stake President has asked each ward to use initials rather than the full give name, perhaps trying to mirror what the sustaining list shows for the First Presidency etc.

For example: the Elders Quorum President's name may be John Randolph Smith. Our Stake President prefers the name read John R Smith. The only problem is the clerk who fills out the Sustaining List has to check the list and remove full middle names (or first names if someone goes by their middle name - such as L. Tom Perry of the Council of 12). Not a big issue, but to answer the comment above, I'm not sure if there is difinitive guidance or not on how to fill out the list.

Jim
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Pilotfly wrote:Not sure if it is Church policy or not, . . .

The instructions at the top of the form say to use the "full name". So I would start with that, and then fix the form the way the presiding officer (stake president) would like to have it fixed.

Return to “Reports and Forms”