Donation

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
Paul44-p40

Donation

Post by Paul44-p40 »

For the first time a member has payed his donation by a check. But the amount on the check is for all the 7 members of the family. (father, mother and children)
How to fill the donations in the MSL program for all those members.

Thanks,

Paul (Philippines)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Paul44 wrote:For the first time a member has payed his donation by a check. But the amount on the check is for all the 7 members of the family. (father, mother and children)
How to fill the donations in the MSL program for all those members.

I've had that happen before. First, you should request that the member not do that in the future. But it can be handled in MLS.

Just create separate donations for each member of the family. Record the donation as paid by check, and use the same check number.

Then you have two extra issues: when you are verifying the totals at the end of the batch, you'll have to separately add up those 7 amounts and make sure they match the check. Also, on the Bank Copy of the Deposit Report, those 7 items will be listed as separate checks; circle them and hand write a little note that gives the total for the one actual check.

EDIT: Check the following post a little later in the thread for a better way to do it supported in the latest versions of MLS: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post20328
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

In Brazil, MSR Office request that we use a letter do help. If the check number is 00001 we post 00001A for the first donation, 00001B for the second, etc. The guys at the administrative office understand that it means only one check.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MorettiDP wrote:In Brazil, MSR Office request that we use a letter do help. If the check number is 00001 we post 00001A for the first donation, 00001B for the second, etc. The guys at the administrative office understand that it means only one check.
That's a nice suggestion and might help clarify what is happening.

However, I don't see what the administrative office has to do with this issue. It may be the case that procedures are different in Brazil, but in the US and Canada, the donation batch records are local to the unit, and only the bank that receives the deposit will see the Bank Copy of the Deposit Report. So no one in the administrative office (CHQ in US/Canada) would ever see these check numbers, so it's more a question for the bank, not the administrative office.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes, I can see that here is different from US. The bank don't receive the Deposit Report. These report are sent to Administrtion Office by MLS Send/Receive process and stored for the auditory (is this the word...?)

hehehe, my English is hard, I know!
Paul44-p40

Donation, thank you

Post by Paul44-p40 »

I am very happy with your answers and I am sure I can handle this now. You see if we are united we grow in our calling as clerk and assistant clerk.

Have a nice day all

Paul44
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MorettiDP wrote:Yes, I can see that here is different from US. The bank don't receive the Deposit Report. These report are sent to Administrtion Office by MLS Send/Receive process and stored for the auditory (is this the word...?)

hehehe, my English is hard, I know!
Interesting. It's helpful to learn of some of the differences in administration.

And the word you are looking for would be "audits" if you mean the process by which financial records are audited, or "auditors" if you mean the people who conduct the audits.

But your English is quite good (much better than my Portuguese, since I only speak German ;)) -- I can understand you quite well and appreciate your posts.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Hahahaha, thanks for my English Alan!!! I am very happy that you can understand me!!!

And, yes, my "chosen" word is "audits". :-)
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I've had that happen before. First, you should request that the member not do that in the future. But it can be handled in MLS.

Just create separate donations for each member of the family. Record the donation as paid by check, and use the same check number.

Then you have two extra issues: when you are verifying the totals at the end of the batch, you'll have to separately add up those 7 amounts and make sure they match the check. Also, on the Bank Copy of the Deposit Report, those 7 items will be listed as separate checks; circle them and hand write a little note that gives the total for the one actual check.

There is a better way. Unfortunately, I have to rely on memory since I am not in front of a MLS computer. I believe as you complete the entry for the first donor, there is a tab at the bottom of that section that says something like "Add Donation" or something like that. If you click on that tab, it will bring up another empty donor section that you complete for the next donor. You keep doing this unitl you are finished with all the donors. Then just go over to the check side and add the check number and amount for the check and save it and you are done. Quite simple actually. I just wish I could remember the exact title of the tab. If this is still an issue, I will confirm it on my next trip to the ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gpetersen wrote:There is a better way. Unfortunately, I have to rely on memory since I am not in front of a MLS computer. I believe as you complete the entry for the first donor, there is a tab at the bottom of that section that says something like "Add Donation" or something like that. If you click on that tab, it will bring up another empty donor section that you complete for the next donor. You keep doing this unitl you are finished with all the donors. Then just go over to the check side and add the check number and amount for the check and save it and you are done. Quite simple actually. I just wish I could remember the exact title of the tab. If this is still an issue, I will confirm it on my next trip to the ward.

Ah, very good! I have not been a ward financial clerk since MLS came out, so I missed this. What I described was how we had to do it in FIS, but MLS handles this much better.

The button is called "New Slip", and indeed it allows you to create multiple donation slips (the left side of the donation screen), each of which can be for a different person. Then you enter the payment -- checks, currency, coin (the right side of the donation screen) -- just once for the whole collection of slips. You're right, that is exactly what the New Slip button is for.

On the Unit Copy of the Deposit Report, such a check will list all the individual donors in the Donor column; the Bank Copy will only list the check once.

Return to “Reports and Forms”