Quarterly Report - Members Moved 3/20 & 3/30

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Quarterly Report - Members Moved 3/20 & 3/30

Post by russellhltn »

mljohns2 wrote:I was surprised to read the explanation that the numbers we report are only for the last month of the quarter. Is this correct?
It depends on the number in question. It's hard to say this without coming across harsh, but I'd suggest reading the instructions carefully. What's desired may not be intuitive and your predecessors might have been doing it wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

CWatsonJr wrote:It is indeed only the last month of the quarter that is counted and not the average of the quarter, except for Sacrament Meetings, that is averaged over the quarter.
Sacrament meeting attendance is also only for the last month of the quarter. You don't need to average the whole quarter.
https://www.lds.org/help/support/quarte ... t?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

CWatsonJr wrote:It is indeed only the last month of the quarter that is counted and not the average of the quarter, except for Sacrament Meetings, that is averaged over the quarter.
Sacrament meeting attendance should also be reported for the last month of the quarter. The help text for that line says "Record the average sacrament meeting attendance for the last month of the quarter. Include in your count all individuals, including nonmembers, who attended sacrament meeting."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Student wards may be using slightly different procedures (either officially or unofficially) since the last month of the quarter frequently falls on a school break. That results in numbers that are not representative of what's happening as well as impacting the budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Student wards may be using slightly different procedures (either officially or unofficially) since the last month of the quarter frequently falls on a school break. That results in numbers that are not representative of what's happening as well as impacting the budget.
I am not aware of any different official procedures, and they certainly should not be using any different unofficial procedures.

There have been discussions here in years past about the selection of the third month as the one where statistics are measured. There are pros and cons to any set of months selected, whether first, second, or third months of each quarter. For example, conventional wards have the very same challenges with vacations in June and Christmas travel in December as do Young Single Adult or Student wards or branches.

But the current official guidelines expect that the majority of statistics will be measured during March, June, September, and December.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Student wards may be using slightly different procedures (either officially or unofficially) since the last month of the quarter frequently falls on a school break. That results in numbers that are not representative of what's happening as well as impacting the budget.
I am not aware of any different official procedures, and they certainly should not be using any different unofficial procedures.
That is correct – student wards don't have any other guidelines besides what's written in the handbook and official training resources. It can be frustrating at first, but I see it as a great motivator to keep the clerks on their toes with move-ins and -outs, and the quorums and Relief Societies making special efforts to get home and visiting teaching organized and performed despite the beginning- and end-of-semester difficulties. It keeps us focused.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
CWatsonJr

Post by CWatsonJr »

scgallafent wrote:
Sacrament meeting attendance should also be reported for the last month of the quarter. The help text for that line says "Record the average sacrament meeting attendance for the last month of the quarter. Include in your count all individuals, including nonmembers, who attended sacrament meeting."
Yes, I indeed did not type my answer out correctly. The Sacrament Meeting attendance for the last month of the quarter is averaged, not the attendance for the whole quarter. Thank you for clarifying that for me :)
mfwhitney

Post by mfwhitney »

I believe the Sacrament Meeting attendance is also only for the last month of the quarter.
CWatsonJr

Post by CWatsonJr »

mfwhitney wrote:I believe the Sacrament Meeting attendance is also only for the last month of the quarter.
Yes - it is an average of all the Sundays in the last month of the quarter.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:There have been discussions here in years past about the selection of the third month as the one where statistics are measured. There are pros and cons to any set of months selected, whether first, second, or third months of each quarter. For example, conventional wards have the very same challenges with vacations in June and Christmas travel in December as do Young Single Adult or Student wards or branches.

But the current official guidelines expect that the majority of statistics will be measured during March, June, September, and December.
Wards are impacted by vacations in June and December, but YSA branches and wards are impacted a great deal more than the average. I oversaw several non-YSA wards where the Majority were Dental / Medical student families that made up 50% of active membership - my advice to the SP when he asked - was to show him how the numbers worked out when averaged over the entire year, average over the quarter and average for 'official counting months' (along with their budget financial impact) - After that instructions came out to the Bishops on how to count. Whether he made the decision or if he counseled above him I don't know, but the result seemed extremely fair and accurate.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Reports and Forms”