children of divorced parents with joint custody

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:48 am

children of divorced parents with joint custody

Postby Kimasech » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:00 am

My ex-husband recently transferred my four children's membership records to his ward where he lives. I was not notified of the transfer and have had the kids records with me in my ward since the separation 4 yrs ago. We have joint custody one week on/one week off.
What is the policy on where kids records reside in this situation? I was told usually the kids records would reside with the mother.

I'm not trying to be petty about it, I just don't understand this recent request.
To be clear, both of us struggle with attending church regularly so I am not sure what the benefit could be by transferring their records to his ward.

Community Administrator
Posts: 23265
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: children of divorced parents with joint custody

Postby russellhltn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:12 am

If there is a policy, I'm not finding it. Currently the church doesn't really have a good way of dealing with joint custody. There is only one record and it can only reside in one ward. Which means one ward doesn't have the record. The on-line tools doesn't support adding a record, so they won't be listed in the primary rolls of one ward.

I'd think this is something the two bishops need to discuss and figure out how to handle it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "" to the search criteria.

Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: children of divorced parents with joint custody

Postby scgallafent » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 am

Membership records should be kept in the ward where the member lives. In this case, where the children effectively live in two wards, the membership records should be kept in the ward which can best meet the needs of the children. That is something that should be determined by the parents and the two bishops involved. There is no policy that I know of that specifies where the children's records should reside.

Return to “Reports and Forms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest