Temple Divorce Form

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
llasater

Temple Divorce Form

Postby llasater » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm the ward clerk and was asked by my Bishop to look into the paperwork for a Temple Divorce. Where is the form located to get started on this process?

sbradshaw

Re: Temple Divorce Form

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Instructions for the cancellation of a sealing can be found in Handbook 1, section 3.6.1. The form to be submitted is the "Application to the First Presidency," which is available in MLS.

As a side note, I would be careful about using the term "Temple Divorce." The word has a lot of things attached to it that don't apply to a temple sealing; for example, a member who has been legally divorced but is worthy can retain the blessings associated with her temple sealing, including even if they civilly marry another person outside the temple. Sealings are generally only annulled right before a person is ready to be sealed again (or if a person has disciplinary action, which is another topic).

lauragsmith

Postby lauragsmith » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:17 pm

How do I start the process for a temple cancellation?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:17 am

lauragsmith wrote:How do I start the process for a temple cancellation?

Start with talking with your bishop. He will need to submit an Application to the First Presidency.

Note that sealings are not typically canceled for women until they're ready to re-marry. Canceling the sealing also cancels all the promises and blessings that come with the sealing. Even with a sealing in place, you will not be bound to anyone against your will.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

elizabethlydiameyer

Postby elizabethlydiameyer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Can I get a sealing Cancellation before I am engaged to the guy I am dating?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:43 pm

elizabethlydiameyer wrote:Can I get a sealing Cancellation before I am engaged to the guy I am dating?

Normally you would make the request to cancel a sealing when you are ready to be sealed to someone new. But the best thing to do is to speak with your bishop about your circumstances so that he and you may work out the details of your situation according to the instructions in the Handbook.

Return to “Reports and Forms”